Multiple Crashes Occur on I-5 Due to Speeding Vehicle
A speeding vehicle went out of control and struck several others on a Sacramento highway on November 17 before fleeing. The initial accident happened around 3:20 p.m. on southbound Interstate 5 at the Richards Boulevard exit ramp, according to the police report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). After the vehicle crashed into a Honda’s left quarter panel at the exit ramp, it was reported that the driver was still swerving and had passed the airport.
Additional Information About the Speeding Vehicle
Following the earlier collision, the driver crashed into a Toyota as well as a big rig, struck a guardrail and then kept going. It is unknown if any injuries occurred from the collisions. The accidents involving the speeding vehicle are being investigated.
Dangers of a Speeding Vehicle
More than 9,000 people were killed in accidents involving a vehicle traveling above the speed limit in 2018. Speeding not only creates danger for the individual behind the wheel, but it also endangers others. Speed limits are in place for a reason. They are the highest speed that a motorist can drive without endangering themselves and others. Following are some of the main reasons for speeding:
- Traffic is congested: Some people become stressed and angry when traffic is congested. This can lead them to drive aggressively, which can include cutting in and out of traffic, speeding, or driving on the shoulder of the road to pass others.
- Lack of a duty of care: Some people would never think of speeding or doing anything that would endanger others sharing the roadway. Others regularly speed, tailgate, and perform maneuvers that could lead to an accident.
- Being late: A motorist who normally would not drive too fast might find themselves speeding when they are late for an appointment or event. Leaving earlier would prevent this problem.
- Anonymity: A driver in a vehicle can feel anonymous because other motorists on the roadway do not know them. This can cause them to feel detached and behave in ways they normally wouldn’t, including speeding.
Investigating an Accident Involving a Speeding Vehicle
Our experienced investigators conduct a search for evidence that can support a client’s compensation injury claim. Since fault has to be proven to make a claim, these are important steps as well as working with law enforcement. The investigation may include:
- Reconstructing the accident to determine how it occurred.
- Interviewing the witnesses to the crash for corroborative statements and reviewing the police report for errors.
- Looking for traffic and road surveillance cameras that might have caught the accident on tape as it happened.
- Measuring and documenting the accident, including taking detailed notes and photographs.
- Checking the vehicles for the damage each sustained, which includes looking for problems with the steering, brakes, suspension and tires that might have led to the accident. Auto defects may lead to a product liability claim.
- Looking for roadway evidence such as tire marks or their absence, which can be an indication that the driver attempted to stop or not.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Those who are injured by a negligent motorist or other entity may claim fair compensation to pay for their medical costs, lost wages, and reimburse them for their pain and suffering. If you or a loved one were injured, call for my free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400. The long-distance number is (800) 404-5400. You are also welcome to use the online form.
I belong to the following associations:
You are invited to learn more about my law office at the links below:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/car-accident-broken-glass-splatter-337764/
:cd llo [cs 669]