Jackknife Accident Near Twin Cities Road Stalls Traffic
A semi-jackknife accident occurred near Sacramento on March 9 that blocked all the southbound lanes on Interstate 5. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that traffic was blocked temporarily when a semi spun out. However, no injuries were reported in the collision. The traffic near Twin Cities Road along I-5 was shut down, and an advisory was issued for the northbound highway because of wind and heavy rain.
Big Rig Jackknife Accident Causes
Various factors contribute to a big rig jackknife accident, which is among the most deadly that can occur on the road. It is common for these types of accidents to happen when the driver applies the brakes too fast or too hard, causing the trailer to swing to the side. These accidents can result in severe injuries or fatalities. The following may also contribute to the problem:
- Speed: The risk of a jackknife accident increases when drivers go too fast for the conditions. It is because speed reduces the time the driver has to react to unexpected changes in the road.
- Fatigue: Tiredness can impair judgment, slow reaction times and make drivers less aware of dangerous situations while driving.
- Maintenance problems: Incorrect tire inflation or brake maintenance can increase the risk of jackknifing.
- Weather: During poor weather conditions, drivers have a harder time maintaining control of their vehicles because wet and icy roads reduce traction.
- Overloaded or unbalanced cargo: If the trailer is overloaded or unbalanced, changes in speed or direction might cause unforeseeable instability.
A big rig accident could result in loss of wages, medical costs and pain and suffering. Compensation is recoverable if you are injured, and the trucker was negligent. There have been many big-rig accidents that our law firm has successfully handled.
Big Rig Collision Investigations
A skilled lawyer who has handled such collisions before is the best person to speak with after a big rig accident. An investigation must be conducted, and evidence must be collected, which helps prove and support our clients’ claims. Our investigators visit the site immediately after the accident to investigate:
- As part of the investigation, the trucker’s logbook and maintenance records are reviewed.
- The police report is reviewed for accuracy, as well as witness interviews conducted.
- An accident reconstruction is conducted.
- Investigators search for videotapes of the accident on traffic surveillance and business cameras.
- It is checked if any maintenance has been provided on a company-owned truck, as well as if the driver and employer have encountered previous problems.
- Accident investigators look for traffic infractions such as distracted driving or speeding.
Our accident attorneys begin the negotiation process with the insurance company after collecting all the evidence and information. Should the settlement offer not be sufficient, the client can take their case to civil court.
Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Sacramento truck accident lawyer. When a commercial vehicle collides with a passenger car, the consequences can be serious. We offer free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 if your accident injuries were caused by a negligent driver. For your convenience, you can reach us by phone at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us an online message.
Here are links to some of the ways our team of injury lawyers has assisted others:
We are proud to be members of the following associations:
Photo attribution: Image by Joel Genhart from Pixabay
:cd llo