Accident at Greenback Lane Occurs When Vehicle Leaves the Road
A run-off-road accident involving a single vehicle occurred in Sacramento on July 20 that caused a major injury. The collision occurred just before 4:00 p.m. at the intersection of Greenback Lane and Verner Avenue. The report issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said that a sedan left the roadway at the intersection and struck a sign and some trees.
Major Injury Reported in Sacramento Run-Off-Road Crash
The vehicle was reportedly going toward the freeway when the accident happened. A major injury was reported in the crash. The CHP is investigating to determine why the collision occurred.
A run-off-road accident can occur for a variety of reasons, and these types of collisions frequently cause serious injuries or result in a fatality. Some of the reasons a run-off-road crash can happen due to driver inattention or negligence include:
- Speeding can cause the driver to lose control of their car
- Distracted driving, such as texting
- Fatigue can cause the driver to nod off behind the wheel
- Drunk or drugged driving can result in the driver reacting slowly and going off the road
Reasons for a Run-Off-Road Accident Out of the Driver’s Control
There are times when a run-off-road accident is unavoidable, and the driver is not responsible. In these situations, the at-fault party may be held responsible for accident injuries such as the following:
- Poor roadway design or maintenance: Roadways that are constructed with curves that are too sharp can end up causing a run-off-road crash. Other hazards include potholes, soft or inadequate shoulders, weak guardrails, poor lighting and others. If it is determined that roadway design or maintenance caused the accident, a claim may be placed against the government entity in charge. However, the statute of limitations for filing a government claim in California is only six months. Getting assistance from an injury lawyer may be recommended in order to avoid missing the deadline, and so the paperwork is correctly completed.
- Defective auto parts: If a driver’s steering wheel suddenly freezes, their brakes go out or the accelerator pedal sticks, it can lead to a run-off-road crash. It is important after an accident to retain the vehicle, so it can be examined for auto defects. If one is found to have led to the run-off-road crash, the manufacturer and others may be held responsible through an auto product liability claim.
- Hit-and-run drivers: When a vehicle leaves the road, it shouldn’t be assumed that they are always to blame. A hit-and-run driver can strike a vehicle, forcing it off the roadway, and then flee the scene. An accident attorney can investigate the crash to determine if another motorist was present at the time. By performing accident reconstruction, interviewing witnesses and checking nearby business and traffic surveillance cameras, it may show that an aggressive or fleeing driver was the cause of the accident.
Sacramento Accident Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, an accident attorney in Sacramento. There are reasons someone can be injured in a single-vehicle accident that isn’t their fault. If another negligent individual or entity was the cause, they may be able to recover compensation. Call (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice. We can review your case and tell you if there are options to recover damages. You can also reach out to us online.
We are proud to be members of:
Helpful information on how our injury lawyers assisted others can be found below:
Photo attribution: Image by Rico Löb from Pixabay
:cd llo  bw