Deadly Crash at Howe Avenue Intersection Involved Multiple Vehicles
Two people died and four others were hospitalized after a five-vehicle accident in Sacramento. The collision occurred in the Arden-Arcade area at the Howe Avenue intersection with Hallmark Drive at about 9:39 a.m. According to a tweet by the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District, the multiple-vehicle crash also involved a utility pole.
Multiple-Vehicle Crash Being Investigated to Determine How it Occurred
In addition to the two fatalities, seven others were involved in the collision, with four transported to hospitals and three released by fire department medics at the scene. No information was provided on the condition of the hospitalized patients. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is conducting an investigation into the cause of the multiple-vehicle collision.
The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has recently identified the decedents as Stephen Duchnowski, 74, of Sacramento, and Carol Trinidad Duchnowski, 65, of Sacramento. Additional information about the fatal traffic collision has not yet been released by CHP traffic officers due to an ongoing investigation.
Negligence in a Multiple-Vehicle Crash
In a multiple-vehicle accident with injuries and/or fatalities, more than one of the drivers is usually at fault. Other areas of negligence may come into play, also such as a defective auto part or negligence in maintaining the intersection by the government entity in charge. A multiple-vehicle collision can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Inexperienced drivers are a common cause of an accident.
- Distracted driving, such as texting or chatting on the phone can lead to a crash.
- Reckless driving encompasses many behaviors, such as speeding or running a red light, either of which could cause a multiple-vehicle crash.
- Intoxicated driving or drug use makes the driver unable to safely handle a vehicle.
- Fatigued driving is comparable to being intoxicated in its effects on the motorist.
- Defective vehicle parts such as brakes or tires can cause a multiple-vehicle accident.
- Hazardous road conditions caused by poor government maintenance of the area can cause an accident. The deadline to file a claim against a government entity is six months, so getting help from an accident attorney can ensure deadlines are met.
Determining Negligence in a Multiple-Vehicle Crash
To determine negligence in a multiple-vehicle collision, your accident attorney will look at a number of factors, including the people involved and the circumstances that led to the incident. The lawyer will also check to see if traffic laws were broken and the nature and severity of injuries or whether fatalities occurred. This is just a part of the investigation to support a client’s claim for compensation or a family’s ability to file for wrongful death. In addition, the following areas are covered in the investigation:
- The area where the accident occurred is scoured for evidence and photos taken at the scene.
- Witnesses to the accident are interviewed.
- The police report is examined for evidence and also to ensure its accuracy.
- Accident reconstruction is performed, which can indicate fault and how it occurred.
- Area surveillance cameras are examined. If the multiple-vehicle collision was captured on film, that evidence can be subpoenaed.
If you have been involved in a multiple-vehicle crash, it is important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your legal options. Whether you are a family grieving the death of a loved one or have been injured due to another’s negligence, the lawyer can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento personal injury lawyer. We can help by offering you free and friendly advice about your accident or loss of a loved one by calling us at (916) 921-6400. An online form is available to contact us also. You can also reach us toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Belonging to the following associations is an honor for us because it demonstrates how hard-working our injury lawyers are:
Find out how others have been assisted in recovering maximum compensation for their injuries below:
:cd llo ds