Accident Near 65th Street Off-Ramp Causes a Major Injury
A major injury accident occurred in Sacramento on October 27 that involved three vehicles. The collision happened along eastbound U.S. 50 just west of the 65th Street off-ramp around 3:15 p.m. The report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that it involved a Chevy Malibu, Toyota Highlander and one additional vehicle.
U.S. 50 Major Injury Accident Blocks Express Lanes
The collision blocked the express lanes. Sacramento Fire Department first responders arrived to assess injuries in the crash. It was determined that at least one person suffered a major injury. The accident is under investigation by the CHP to determine fault.
Causes of a Major Injury Accident Near a Highway Exit Ramp
The following are some of the most common causes of multiple-vehicle accidents near highway exit ramps:
- Speeding – Speeding drivers often cause a major injury accident because they cannot stop in a traffic slowdown.
- Distracted driving – Common distractions include texting, talking on a cell phone, accessing GPS or changing a radio station. Any of these distractions take the driver’s eyes off the road long enough to result in an accident.
- Tailgating – One of the most common reasons for a collision, tailgating is dangerous and often leads to a rear-end collision.
- Improper lane changes – Changing lanes without warning or using a turn signal can cause an accident.
- Intoxication (drugs or alcohol) – Intoxication while driving means the motorist’s judgment is affected and reflexes slowed. The intoxicated driver also often swerves in and out of their lane, which endangers other motorists.
- Fatigue – Drivers who are too tired to be behind the wheel often don’t realize it until it’s too late. The impairment of fatigued drivers is often compared to those who have been drinking or using drugs.
- Poor weather conditions – When the roads are slick and visibility impaired, drivers are expected to adjust their speed. If they do not and get into a major injury accident, they can be cited by police even if they are going the speed limit.
- Reckless driving – Reckless driving encompasses many areas, such as speeding, tailgating, racing and other negligent behaviors, which can cause a crash.
- Animals in the roadway – Livestock in the roadways presents a hazard to motorists. In these cases, the owner of the animal/animals may be liable for injuries.
- Defective vehicle equipment – Defective brakes, steering, accelerator and other conditions can lead to a major injury crash. The manufacturer may be held responsible for injuries by filing an auto product liability claim.
A Multiple-Vehicle Injury Accident
When multiple vehicles are involved in a collision, an accident attorney can determine fault, so the injured party can obtain fair compensation. In most accidents involving multiple vehicles, more than one driver has been negligent so this is an important consideration. The injured party may recover the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages, including benefits they lost
- Pain and suffering compensation
Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
I am Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer. If you have been injured in a traffic accident and need free and friendly legal advice, please contact our office at (916) 921-6400. We can also be reached by phone at (800) 404-5400 or by contacting us online. You can contact us for a free consultation about your medical and other losses, and we can review your case and offer you options for recovering compensation.
Our memberships include the following:
Here are some examples of how our injury lawyers have helped people:
Photo attribution: Image by Vladyslav Topyekha from Pixabay
:cd llo