Sacramento Dog Bite Injury
Sacramento Dog Bite Injury – While a Sacramento dog bite injury can be minor, some cause devastating harm that results in disfigurement, emotional trauma and require extensive medical care. In addition to the injury itself, serious infections can be attributed to dog bites, which may be worse than the initial trauma. Complications from a dog bite can lead to severe infection and even death in some cases. Understanding why it is important to seek immediate treatment for a dog bite injury is essential.
Why Is a Sacramento Dog Bite Injury so Dangerous?
Dog bites can result in lacerations, crush injuries and punctures, along with other dangerous results. This is because when a dog bites down, it can exert over 450 pounds of pressure for each square inch. When combined with multiple bites, the individual can die from blood loss. Even in less serious dog attacks, the person can face disease or infection from bacteria in the animal’s mouth. According to Healthline, this can include:
- Rabies: While most infections caused by rabies occur when an individual is bitten by a wild animal such as the recent scare caused by a rabid bat in Sacramento, dog bites can cause this disease if the dog is unvaccinated and infected. This dangerous disease makes it difficult to swallow and causes convulsions and high fever and often results in death.
- Tetanus: Commonly called lockjaw, most people are protected from tetanus through vaccination. However, those who contract the disease can experience stiffness in the neck, jaw and abdomen, body spasms and have difficulty swallowing. Tetanus has no cure.
- Pasteurella: This bacterial organism can attack the skin causing cellulitis, sometimes within 24 hours of being injured through a bite or scratch. Symptoms may include fever, chills and enlarged lymph glands. In some cases, cellulitis can cause arthritis, pneumonia, meningitis or other serious complications, leading to high medical bills and an extended stay in a hospital.
- Capnocytophaga: This infection causes swelling, redness, and blistering at the wound site from one to 14 days after an injury. About one-third of those infected with Capnocytophaga die, while others may have complications such as kidney failure, heart attack or gangrene.
- Streptococcal and staphylococcal infections: Strep normally can range from a sore throat to a rash and swollen tissues. It can also affect heart valves, lungs, and the bloodstream. Staph presents itself as an abscess or boil, causing pain, redness, and swelling. It can lead to serious health problems such as toxic shock syndrome and cellulitis.
Sacramento Dog Bite Injury Compensation
Unlike some other states around the nation, a Sacramento dog bite injury claim can be placed as long as negligence was involved. In some other states, a dog owner cannot be held responsible until the second time the animal causes an injury. Whether in a public or private setting, a California dog owner is responsible if their pet injures another person. The only exceptions are trespassers on property and military or police members who are going about their duty.
Sacramento Dog Bite Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento dog bite lawyer. If you are facing medical bills and time off the job because of a dog bite injury, you might be entitled to compensation. Please call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. If it is more convenient, there is a contact form on AutoAccident.com, the website I own and found.
Over my 36+ year career, it has been my honor to have represented many residents of Sacramento and other Northern Californians with their accident injury claims. Some of the areas I work in include wrongful death, traumatic brain injuries and all kinds of car accidents.
It can be helpful to look over client reviews and learn about prior cases handled by a law firm before selecting a lawyer to represent you. You can look over mine by visiting the following sites:
I’m a milliondollaradvocates.com California member. This site recognizes trial lawyers in the nation that have won a verdict or settlement for a client of more than one million dollars.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/animal-blur-canine-close-up-551628/
:cd llo [cs 688] cv