Roundup™ Causes More Than Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
In the recent past, reports have linked Roundup™ to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The association of the herbicide and this form of cancer has been documented repeatedly. Yet, the use of glyphosate is linked to numerous other health issues. This is bad news for gardeners, farmers, groundskeepers, and homeowners. The number of disorders is large and varied. Let’s look at new research that examines the popular weed killer from this perspective.
How Widely Used Is Roundup™?
Roundup™ weed killer is one of the most widely used herbicides globally. In the United States, glyphosate has become synonymous with crop production. Here are some facts you should know:
- Since 1996, when Roundup™-ready crops were introduced, the use of glyphosate herbicides has risen 15-fold worldwide. This means American exposure to the herbicide has increased by 500 percent.
- Approximately 1.8 million tons of this glyphosate formulation has been used since 1974 when it was introduced.
- Globally, 9.4 million tons of Roundup™ has been applied to fields. This is the equivalent of spraying 0.5 pounds of glyphosate on every cultivated field in the world.
- Many countries have banned the use of glyphosate.
Glyphosate Implicated in Cancer
Worldwide health organizations and environmental agencies have implicated glyphosate in causing cancer. Here’s a breakdown:
- The World Health Organization: The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IRAC) reviewed the use of glyphosate and said it was probably carcinogenic in 2015. IRAC linked it to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Environmental Protection Agency: The EPA said Roundup™ was probably not carcinogenic in 2016. After the announcement, the EPA established a scientific advisory panel (SAP) to review their Cancer Assessment Review Committee. This committee’s work led to the non-carcinogenic status. The SAP said the EPA’s methods of reviewing scientific research may have been faulty. Furthermore, the Office of Pesticide Programs had not followed proper protocol. Despite evidence that the herbicide was carcinogenic, the EPA clung to its earlier evaluation, calling the herbicide non-carcinogenic.
- California Office of Health Hazard Assessment: This organization wanted to add glyphosate to the list of substances that cause cancer in Proposition 65. This would make Monsanto issue a warning to consumers. The courts blocked this and said California could only use commercial speech for “purely factual and uncontroversial information.”
- Agricultural Health Study: Iowa and North Carolina found an increased risk of acute myeloid leukemia in farm families in these states. This form of leukemia progresses rapidly and attacks the blood and bone marrow. It is treatable.
New Research Sheds Light on other Diseases and Glyphosate Use
Other health issues were linked to the use of Roundup™. Learn more below:
- January 2019: Environmental Sciences Europe published data that supports the classification of glyphosate as a genotoxin, which causes ill effects on DNA.
- February 2019: A study in Mutation Research showed that non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and glyphosate were linked. Three of the scientist authors were EPA members who evaluated Roundup™ and believed that the EPA failed to follow proper procedures.
- March 2019: Studies done in Norway, the United States and France showed a link to large B-cell lymphoma. This form of lymphoma is aggressive and fatal if left untreated.
- April 2019: The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry reported further evidence of glyphosate and cancer risk.
Other Conditions Related to Glyphosate Use
While further research is needed, some of the conditions associated with Roundup™ use are:
- Fetal development: Exposure to glyphosate can alter the vitamin A pathway that is important for fetal development. Studies showed that those women who lived within 1 kilometer of sprayed fields have a higher risk of children with birth defects. In one section of Argentina, where the herbicide is used 10 times more than in the United States, a four-fold increase in birth defects was found.
- Breast, lung, and prostate cancer: In Argentina, the incidence of these cancers increased in areas where the herbicide was sprayed. A study showed that in sprayed areas, 30 percent of families had someone with such cancers. Conversely, of those who lived in ranching areas where spraying was not done, only 3 percent had a family member with such cancers. This is thought to be due to glyphosate’s ability to damage DNA.
- Kidney disease: An increase in the number of cases of chronic kidney disease has been reported in India, Sri Lanka, and Central America. Glyphosate is thought to destroy renal tissue leading to kidney disease when it comes in contact with hard water in the body, forming complexes.
- Clostridia: Glyphosate is toxic to good gut bacteria, and clostridia is resistant to the herbicide. This results in an overgrowth of clostridia, including C. Difficile. This can lead to serious illness and death.
- Heart disease: Glyphosate can alter the body’s enzymes, causing dysfunction. It affects lysosomes that are used in waste removal in the body. Lack of functional lysosomes are found in heart disease. Absence of lysosomes caused by glyphosate can result in heart failure and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Inflammatory gut disease: Glyphosate can reduce tryptophan, which leads to inflammatory bowel disease. This affects the gut’s ability to absorb nutrients.
- Liver damage: Even low amounts of Roundup™ can interfere with the function of liver cells.
- Parkinson’s disease: Glyphosate use correlates with the cell death found in Parkinson’s disease.
Monsanto Roundup™ Cancer Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Monsanto Roundup™ cancer attorney. If you have been harmed by Roundup™, you should not pay physically and financially for the company’s negligence. Call me at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. If you are in the Sacramento area, you can also reach me at (916) 921-6400. I am available online, as well.
I am a proud member of the following organizations:
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel: Members uphold the highest legal standards in their practice.
- The Million Dollar Advocates: Composed of lawyers who have won more than $1 million for a client.
Learn more about my firm on the following pages:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/illustrations/dna-string-biology-3d-1811955/
:cd llo [cs 1,021]