Fatal Single-Vehicle Accident Occurs on Hartnell Avenue
A single-vehicle rollover accident in Redding on July 20 claimed the life of the driver. The crash was reported to have occurred at eastbound Hartnell Avenue near Shotwick Trail around 1:45 in the morning. The deceased driver was identified as Michael Runyon, a Cottonwood resident, age 32.
Vehicle Involved in Violent Crash
When officers with the Redding Police Department arrived at the scene, they discovered a Dodge Charger with the driver trapped inside the vehicle. The car had overturned onto its roof and started a fire in the grass nearby. Police reported that the driver may have been speeding and lost control of his vehicle, crashing into a street sign and metal pole before hitting a chain-link fence and a tree. A security guard, arriving at the scene before the officers, had extinguished the fire.
Investigation Ongoing Into Cause of Rollover Accident
Firefighters removed the driver from the Dodge, but he was declared dead at the accident scene. It is unknown whether drugs or alcohol factored into the cause of the fatal rollover accident, which is still under investigation.
A rollover accident is among the most dangerous types of collisions. Rollovers can be caused by a number of factors, including negligence by another driver, defective auto parts or government negligence:
- The center of gravity of a vehicle is a significant factor in the probability of a rollover. On a highway or when struck by another vehicle, this is especially true when the vehicle is moving at a certain speed.
- A rollover is more likely to occur in some vehicles than in others, even though any car can flip if the circumstances are right. The most likely vehicles to roll over are light trucks, vans and SUVs.
- Being run off the road by an aggressive driver can cause a rollover. Because the vehicle’s tires can hit gravel or soft dirt on the shoulder of the roadway, the car can go off-balance.
- Rollovers can occur when vehicles approach curves without signage indicating they should slow down.
- An object or animal in the roadway can cause the driver to make a sudden maneuver, which can result in a rollover.
Rollover Accidents and the Loss of Loved Ones
The tragedy of losing a loved one to a rollover is made even worse by the fact that it could have been prevented. Customer safety is the manufacturer’s responsibility. Many unnecessary deaths are caused by defective tires, seat belts, or roof crushes. Auto product liability lawsuits can be filed against a manufacturer if they fail to fulfill their responsibilities with the help of a car accident attorney.
A rollover fatality can also be traced to an agency responsible for road maintenance or signage if that caused the accident. Retaining the vehicle will help our investigators determine the cause of a rollover accident by checking it for potential government or manufacturer negligence.
Redding Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Redding personal injury lawyer. Accident fatalities can occur for a number of reasons, and not all of them are the fault of the driver. If you want to find out if your family can file a wrongful death claim, you are welcome to contact us for our free and friendly advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. We can also be contacted online.
Find out how our injury lawyers assisted others at the links that follow:
We are honored to be members of:
Photo attribution: Image by S. Hermann & F. Richter from Pixabay
:cd llo