Feather River Boulevard Site of Bicycle Fatality Accident
A bicycle fatality accident occurred recently in Yuba County when the rider was struck by the driver of a pickup south of Olivehurst. The accident occurred along eastbound Feather River Boulevard near Country Club Road when the bicyclist was struck broadside in a crash involving a Ford F-250 pickup. According to the Yuba-Sutter office of the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the rider was ejected from his bicycle by the collision and sustained serious head trauma. He died at the scene of the accident.
Investigation Underway in Bicycle Fatality Accident
The CHP report stated that the driver, an Olivehurst man, age 60, was uninjured in the accident with the bicyclist and was traveling around 60 mph at the time. Drugs or alcohol do not appear to have factored into the cause of the crash, which is still being investigated by authorities. The identity of the bicyclist has not been released pending family notification.
Causes of a Bicycle Fatality Accident by a Negligent Motorist
There are many potential causes of a fatal bicycle accident by a negligent motorist. These include:
- Driver inattention or distraction: Drivers can cause fatal accidents if they are distracted or not paying attention to the road, such as when using a cell phone, eating, drinking or engaging in other activities that take their attention away from driving.
- Speeding: Drivers who are exceeding the speed limit or going too fast for conditions can be particularly dangerous when it comes to bicycle fatalities. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the less time the driver has to react and avoid an accident with a cyclist.
- Failure to yield: If a driver fails to yield the right of way or respect a cyclist’s right to be on the road, it can result in an accident. Cyclists have the same rights and privileges as any other vehicle on the road, and drivers should take care to pay attention and ensure they understand who has priority at intersections, etc.
- Reckless driving: If a driver is weaving in and out of traffic, driving erratically or engaging in other reckless behavior, this can be especially dangerous for cyclists.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: If a driver’s brakes or steering are not properly maintained, it can cause a serious accident. This is especially true when sharing the road with cyclists, where any malfunction may have more drastic consequences than if only motor vehicles were involved.
- Alcohol or drug impairment: If a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, their reaction time and level of alertness can be severely impaired, making them more likely to cause a fatal accident with a cyclist.
Compensation by Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
When a family member has died in a bicycle accident, an accident lawyer can investigate to determine the cause of the crash. If negligence on the part of the motorist was the cause, the family has the right to file a wrongful death claim to recover damages. By doing so, they can hold the at-fault party responsible for their actions and hopefully obtain a sense of justice and closure for their loss.
Olivehurst Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Olivehurst personal injury lawyer. Negligent drivers are often the cause of bicycle fatality accidents. Families of the deceased might be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover compensation. You can reach our accident attorneys at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. Our online contact form is also available for your convenience.
Our membership in the following groups is a testimony to the quality of service we provide to our clients:
In addition to helping many others, our injury lawyers have handled the following cases:
:cd llo