Person Trapped in Sacramento Collision Involving 3 Vehicles
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. A terrifying collision on July 26 along westbound U.S. Route 50 in South Sacramento between three vehicles resulted in one party suffering a serious injury. It occurred before the split just west of the 10th Street exit ramp. This was the second major collision along this stretch of U.S. 50 in about 30 minutes. Since an earlier multiple vehicle accident nearby had not yet cleared, it is unknown if the backup from this previous accident contributed to this collision.
The accident occurred shortly after 10:00 in the morning. It was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that a Nissan Maxima, for an unknown reason, struck the median. The impact caused the Nissan to veer across all traffic lanes and broadsided a Dodge Charger in the process. One of the parties involved in the collision was reported by the CHP as going in and out of consciousness, and the police could not get access into the vehicle to remove the unconscious individual. The fire department was called to extricate that party and transport them to an area hospital for additional treatment and evaluation.
The Dodge was reported as blocking lane three and unable to move, while the Nissan blocked the number four lane. A third vehicle was also reported as being involved in the collision; however, that car has not yet been identified. All three vehicles were blocking the slow lane, causing traffic congestion in the area as crews worked at clearing the road.
A broadside collision, or “t-bone accident,” is among the most common of all types of car accidents. While most of these accidents occur at intersections, a T-bone can happen anywhere. Some of the causes of T-bone collisions include:
- Failure to yield the right of way is a common cause of T-bone collisions when a vehicle gets in the way of a driver who is obeying the law. Some of these accidents happen when one driver misinterprets what another motorist is going to do.
- Running a stop sign or traffic light is a significant cause of accidents. It can result in a broadside collision when a driver crashes into another vehicle that is legally passing through an intersection.
- Reckless driving involves disobeying traffic laws and exhibiting actions that a prudent driver would not. These actions can result in a broadside collision.
- Speeding always endangers other motorists on the road. A speeder that is involved in a collision can cause other vehicles to crash into each other.
- Left turns when a driver is trying to beat another car or turns illegally can cause a T-bone collision.
- Drunk driving is the main cause of wrong-way accidents but can also cause broadside collisions if the driver ignores traffic rules.
- Aggressive driving such as tailgating or cutting in and out of traffic can end up causing a broadside collision with another vehicle.
- Losing control of a vehicle can happen at any place and at any time. Overcorrecting is a common reason a driver loses control.
T-Bone Collisions Can Lead to Severe Injuries
There are many reasons why a vehicle getting hit in a T-bone accident can lead to more severe injuries than most other collisions. One reason is that the impact point of the car that has been struck is closer in proximity to the passenger or driver than a crash from the front or back. The impact of such a collision propels the vehicle sideways where it can hit by other cars, phone poles or guardrails. A strong enough accident can cause a rollover, especially if the area to the other side of the vehicle is sloped. This can also increase injuries even more.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. All types of car accidents can take a toll on you physically and financially. When this happens, you need the services of an experienced injury attorney. Reach out to me at (916) 921-6400 in the area and (800) 404-5400 nationwide for free, friendly legal advice. You can also contact me online if that is more convenient for you.
I’ve helped numerous residents of Sacramento and the wider Northern California area with many varieties of car accidents, traumatic brain injuries, and wrongful death cases.
I am honored to be a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel where those attorneys who adhere to the highest legal standards are included.
I am sure you would like to know more about my law firm. Look at reviews by former clients and my peers on the following pages:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum of trial lawyers who have won more than $1 million for a client through a verdict or settlement.
You can get an idea of how I’ve handled previous cases by going to my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_20178781_l-2015
:cd ds [cs 841] cv