Accident at Arden Way Intersection Causes Pedestrian Fatality
On June 5, a pedestrian fatality was reported in Sacramento when a man died after being struck by a vehicle in an intersection. The police incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that someone called in to report the accident around 10:00 p.m., which occurred at Arden Way and Howe Avenue.
Fatal Accident Being Investigated by Authorities
The individual driving the car remained at the scene and was cooperative with police investigators. The pedestrian died at the accident scene. Officials have recently identified the decedent as 42-year-old Jeremy Scott Perkins. The investigation into the accident is ongoing.
Causes of a Pedestrian Fatality or Injury
There are numerous reasons a pedestrian fatality can occur, but many of them involve negligent drivers. Intersections are where most of these accidents happen, and the most common reasons include:
- A driver that runs through a red light or stop sign while someone is walking through the crosswalk can cause a pedestrian fatality.
- Speeders contribute to many accidents because they are unable to stop in time to avoid a collision if someone is walking in the roadway or has stepped off a curb.
- Many pedestrian injuries and fatalities occur when a driver makes a right-hand turn at an intersection without looking carefully for someone crossing the street.
- Poor maintenance at an intersection easily leads to a pedestrian fatality or injury. Poor overhead lighting, untrimmed shrubs, and malfunctioning lights at a crosswalk are dangerous to those on foot. The government agency in charge of maintenance may be liable, but the deadline for filing is short. Enlisting the help of an injury attorney can ensure paperwork is filed in a timely manner. Otherwise, the case will not be heard in court.
- Distracted driving is the main cause of all types of traffic accidents, especially if the motorist is texting or talking on their cell phone.
- Drunk drivers cause more than 10,000 deaths a year, many of them are pedestrians. Because the driver reacts slowly in an emergency, cannot concentrate on what they are doing, and has problems with their eyesight, they can easily miss seeing a pedestrian.
- Fatigued driving is a problem, especially after dark. A fatigued driver is similar in the way they react behind the wheel of a car to someone who has been drinking.
Placing a Wrongful Death Claim
Members of the immediate family such as the spouse, children, and others who received at least 50 percent of their support from the decedent may place a claim together for wrongful death. What they can recover includes:
- The cost of the funeral and burial expenses can be recovered.
- Loss of consortium, as well as the love and affection lost by the deceased’s spouse, can be claimed.
- Wages lost by the decedent up until the time of retirement can be recovered, including pension and other benefits.
- Loss of inheritance is recoverable.
- Loss of the nurturing, guidance and affection by the decedent toward the children of the family can be recovered.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. When your family has lost a loved one because of a negligent motorist, they may want to find out about placing a wrongful death claim. In this way, they can recover the expense of the funeral service and more without facing the stress of the financial cost. You can call me at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. You can also reach me online if you prefer.
My law office has helped Sacramentans since 1982 in acquiring fair compensation for all ranges of traffic accidents, cases that involve wrongful deaths, pedestrian injuries and others.
You can see two of the groups I’m proud to belong to by visiting:
Reviews by clients and additional information can be found below:
Photo attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/candle-light-candlelight-flame-2038736/
:cd llo ds [cs 668] 0% bw