Accident at Dewey Drive Causes Major Injuries to a Pedestrian
A pedestrian accident causing major injuries occurred in Fair Oaks on April 14. The traffic accident happened at Dewey Drive and Mercy Court shortly before 1:00 in the afternoon. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the accident involved a motor vehicle.
Injured Pedestrian Transported to Hospital for Treatment
Medics with the Sacramento Fire District arrived to assess the pedestrian, who was then transported to a nearby hospital for medical treatment and additional evaluation for their serious injuries. No information was released on the driver or vehicle that was involved in the collision. Authorities are conducting an investigation to determine what happened.
Pedestrian Injury Accidents Are Common and Dangerous
Pedestrian injuries and fatalities are increasing. More people have started walking to work, for exercise, and to run errands. However, there is also an increasing number of vehicles on the road, which leads to pedestrian accidents becoming more common. My legal team and I have helped many injured pedestrians in Fair Oaks and surrounding Northern California to obtain compensation and may be able to help you too.
Types of Injuries Suffered in a Pedestrian Accident
Because pedestrians have no protection in a collision with a motor vehicle, they can suffer serious injuries. This can lead to an ambulance bill, hospitalization, possible surgery, testing, and a recuperative period. Add onto this the lost wages and pain and suffering the pedestrian experiences, and it causes a financial and emotional drain. However, by filing a personal injury lawsuit, the injured party can reclaim those financial damages and concentrate only on getting well. Some of the most common injuries in a pedestrian/vehicle accident are:
- Head, neck, and face: Almost 40 percent of pedestrians suffer injuries to their head, neck, or face. It includes skull damage, fractures to the jaw, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Upper extremities: Injuries to the upper extremities can be caused by the impact of the vehicle or from being thrown. They can include bone fractures, lacerations, and other trauma.
- Lower extremities: Damage to the lower extremities is common because this is the area where a vehicle often strikes the pedestrian. It also can cause fractures and other types of trauma.
Causes of Pedestrian Injury Accidents
Following are some of the more common causes of a pedestrian accident:
- Speed: A pedestrian who is struck by a motor vehicle traveling at 30 mph has a 90 percent chance of survival. However, when the vehicle is moving faster than that, the survival rate drops to 50 percent or lower.
- Red-light runners: Those who run red lights were responsible for around half the deaths of pedestrians who were involved in a motor vehicle accident in 2018.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving came in as the number three reason for a pedestrian fatality in 2018. Most of the distractions were due to electronic devices and involved talking on a cell phone or texting.
- Drunk drivers: Drunk driving was responsible for 15 percent of the pedestrians killed in 2018. An even larger percentage involved a pedestrian who was intoxicated themself.
- Driving after dark: Most pedestrian fatalities (74 percent) occur at night. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 26 percent of the pedestrian fatalities occurred between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Twenty-four percent happened between 9:00 p.m. and midnight.
Fair Oaks Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Fair Oaks personal injury lawyer. Pedestrian injuries are often serious, and the injured person can face high medical costs, lost wages from the inability to work, and pain and suffering. When a negligent driver or entity was the cause of the injury, the pedestrian may be able to file a claim for damages. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for my free, friendly advice. I can also be reached online by messaging me.
Since 1982, my law firm has helped numerous Fair Oaks residents in obtaining fair compensation for all types of traffic accidents, claims that involve wrongful deaths, and traumas such as brain injuries.
You can find out how we’ve helped others in the past at the links that follow:
I’m honored to be a member of:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/couple-pedestrian-rain-raining-4602505/
:cd llo [cs 727]