Pedestrian Accident Kills Modesto Man
Pedestrian Accident Kills Modesto Man. A pedestrian accident on September 6, 2018, near the Vintage Faire Mall, left a local man with fatal injuries. The incident occurred at approximately 8:30 in the evening where a 32-year-old man was driving a Hyundai Sonata southbound along Prescott Road just north of the mall. As the driver approached the intersection of Peach Drive and Andrew Avenue, his vehicle collided with a pedestrian walking westbound across the road. Emergency personnel responding to the scene transported the man to a local hospital for immediate treatment. Unfortunately, the man succumbed to his injuries during hospitalization. Authorities have identified the victim as Michael Maestas, a 53-year-old resident of Modesto.
I would like to express my sympathy and support to the loved ones of Mr. Maestas during this heartwrenching time.
Any pedestrian who is hit by an oncoming car is faced with a high chance of suffering a serious injury. The type of injury sustained in a pedestrian accident varies upon factors such as the size, weight, and speed carried by the vehicle. Some of the common pedestrian injuries include:
- Amputation of a Limb: These are less common among pedestrian accidents but still have the potential to occur. This type of injury can happen when a walker is caught between two cars. Extensive rehabilitation is necessary for recovery from a limb amputation;
- Bone Fractures: Pedestrians struck by motor vehicles are likely to suffer bone fractures when they hit the ground due to their vulnerability. Femur fractures resulting from extremity trauma are commonly seen in pedestrian accidents which can create a life-changing impact on the victim;
- Brain and Head Trauma: These may range from concussions and traumatic brain injuries to skull fractures and swelling of the brain. Permanent changes in cognitive abilities and other functions may occur as a result of these injuries;
- Chest Trauma: Injuries to the chest cavity may include broken ribs, severe bruising, punctured lungs, and heart damage. Rehabilitation is based upon the extent of trauma which may be considered life-threatening in some cases;
- Internal Injuries: Time is of the essence for a pedestrian who has suffered internal organ trauma. If aid is not rendered immediately, rapid blood loss leading to wrongful death may occur;
- Optic Nerve Damage: This may result from a facial fracture sustained in an accident. Complications of optic nerve damage may include severe headaches, potential vision loss, and issues with functionality and aesthetics;
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Injuries to the spinal column may affect a victim’s sensation, muscle strength, and other functions. These injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis, which can leave a victim with a severe, permanent disability.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
Wrongful death is the loss of life caused by the negligence or fault of another party or entity. For instance, deaths caused by pedestrian accidents, use of a defective product or dangerous drug, or roadway defects may all be considered as wrongful death claims under the law. Watch the following video to get a better understanding of what a wrongful death claim is and how it can compensate a grieving family for their tragic loss.
Compensation in Wrongful Death Claims
Families who have lost a member due to an accident may be able to bring a wrongful death claim against the party responsible for the incident. To file these claims, a family member must satisfy the requirements of California Code for Civil Procedure section 377.60 to recover damages such as:
- Benefits that were lost, including health insurance and pension;
- Emotional distress and mental anguish caused by the death;
- Expenses of a funeral, memorial, and burial;
- Costs of medical treatment received by the deceased before his or her passing. These expenses may be claimed in a survival action;
- Household services contributed by the decedent such as lawn maintenance, child care, food preparation, and more. The value of this damage is calculated by the average national wage of the type of household service provided;
- Loss of inheritance, support, and future earnings the decedent would have supplied to his or her family.
Modesto Wrongful Death Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. The loss of a loved one is a tragic and confusing time for any family to endure. If you have lost a member in your family due to the negligence of another party or entity, you may contact me anytime for compassionate advice that is both free and friendly. Please feel free to call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Read what some of my past clients have said about my practice at the following links:
As a member of the California chapter of the Million Dollar Advocates, I join other U.S. trial attorneys who have won $1 million or more for a former client in a verdict or settlement.
A list of my earlier cases and their outcomes are available for your review on my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Pedestrian Accident Kills Modesto Man: AutoAccident.com
Photograph Source: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay / Pedestrian Accident Kills Modesto Man
:ds [cs 874] llo cha cv