Pedestrian Accident in West Sacramento Causes Serious Injuries
A pedestrian accident on November 29 in West Sacramento ended up causing serious injuries to the walker. The accident was reported by the West Sacramento Police as occurring along West Capitol Avenue close to Pecan Street shortly before 8:30 in the evening. Although there is a crosswalk in the area, no traffic lights are present and no stop signs along West Capitol. According to the police report, the pedestrian was transported to a nearby hospital, but no further information has been released. Local police are in charge of investigating the accident to determine how it occurred and to assign fault.
Pedestrians are always at risk when walking but even more so during the evening hours. In many cases where an accident occurs, the driver says they never saw anyone walking across the street until it was too late. However, there are ways that a pedestrian can stay safer when out and about along the city’s streets. Some of these ways of improving their safety include:
- Never wear dark clothing when out walking after dark. This makes the pedestrian almost invisible to passing vehicles. Instead, wear light-colored clothing, which will reflect back from a vehicle’s headlights. Even better, use an old jacket with reflective strips to be more visible to help avoid a pedestrian accident.
- Carry a flashlight when out after dark. Even if someone is just taking a walk around the block, using a flashlight can help spot rough spots in the pavement to avoid a bad fall. When crossing the street, it adds a layer of protection to the walker.
- Never drink or do drugs and take a walk. It isn’t just motorists who should be aware of the dangers of being intoxicated and going out in public. Pedestrians are also at risk because they can show poor judgment, and their reflexes are adversely affected. This can cause a walker to step off the curb when a vehicle is far too close to make it a safe action.
- Avoid distractions when you’re walking. Talking on a cell phone or having earbuds in both ears while walking is a major distraction and can end up getting a pedestrian seriously hurt or killed.
- Always try to cross where there is not only a crosswalk but a traffic light. This is especially important on busy streets. If no crosswalk or traffic light is at one corner, go to the next intersection, if possible.
- Always look left, right, and left again. It is good advice that parents give to their children, but it applies to adults too.
Advice and Help After a Pedestrian Accident
Being injured in a pedestrian accident can mean mounting medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. An experienced lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve by building a strong case. Our investigators head to the accident scene right away to gather evidence. First, they check the police report for errors and talk to any witnesses. Accident reconstruction may be performed to determine exactly how the incident happened. They will look for road damage, non-working traffic signs and other evidence, which may indicate government negligence. When all the evidence has been gathered, then our lawyers go to work to build a case that can help in negotiating for you with the insurance company or can be used in court.
Personal Injury Lawyers in West Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a West Sacramento personal injury lawyer. Call me at (916) 921-6400 if you were injured in a pedestrian accident for my free and friendly advice. You can also reach me at (800) 404-5400 or by messaging me online.
It has been my honor to have practiced personal injury law in the West Sacramento area, along with the rest of Northern California, for more than 37 years, helping people injured by another’s negligence obtain the compensation they deserve. Some areas I work in are wrongful deaths, any type of traffic accidents and traumas such as brain injuries.
Please visit these sites to look over reviews left by my former clients and cases handled by my law firm:
I belong to a number of organizations but am especially proud of my membership in the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Membership is offered only to lawyers they believe to uphold the highest standards. In addition, I’m a Million Dollar Forum member. This group is reserved for lawyers who have won in excess of $1 million for a client.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/action-america-architecture-avenue-378570/
:cd llo [cs 756]