CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: What We Are Doing to Protect Our Clients

Injuries Reported in Fiery Hit and Run Accident on State Route 4

One Hurt in Hit and Run Crash on SR-4

One party was hurt in a hit-and-run crash on SR-4 on the late night of Sunday, August 8, 2021. The traffic accident occurred in the westbound lanes of State Route 4 near Sellers Avenue in the Brentwood area at approximately 9:30 p.m.

Details on the SR-4 Hit and Run Accident That Left One Injured

According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), officers responding to the report located two damaged vehicles and another fully engulfed in flames. A preliminary investigation report by CHP traffic officers indicated that one vehicle carrying a father and his two children was involved in a rear-end collision. The father suffered injuries in the crash while his two children were uninjured.

The driver that rear-ended the family’s vehicle may have been intoxicated, officials reported. After one of the cars caught fire, a confrontation was said to have occurred. One of the parties involved in the incident reportedly left the scene on foot, and witnesses claimed that they were potentially under the influence. That party has not yet been located by authorities.

The motor vehicle accident remains under investigation, and further details on the incident were not immediately available.

Do Injured Parties Have Recourse After a Hit and Run Crash?

Getting injured in a traffic collision is stressful enough, but even more so if it was the result of a hit and run. Not only must you deal with the financial, physical, and emotional consequences that come with being involved in any type of motor vehicle accident, but now you may experience uncertainty and fear because of the thought of not being able to recover compensation from the at-fault party that fled the scene. Some motorists leave an accident scene without identifying themselves because of driving stolen vehicles, driving without a valid drivers’ license or liability coverage, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI), and more.

No matter the reason why a driver may decide to flee the scene of a motor vehicle collision, the fact is that as an injured party, there may be limited options when it comes to financial recovery. In a car accident, the insurance company representing the other driver would be responsible for paying damages incurred. However, when the identity of the other party is unknown as they have left the collision site, recourse may be sought in a first-party insurance claim filed under uninsured motorist (UM) coverage.

UM coverage is not mandatory in California, but all drivers are encouraged to carry it since it may prove extremely beneficial in situations like these. It may provide coverage in cases where the other driver does not have liability coverage and may extend protection in hit and run accidents to injured drivers, passengers, cyclists, and pedestrians. To recover compensation for a hit-and-run accident under UM coverage, most insurers require proof that the other party’s vehicle made contact with the injured person’s car. Additional evidence must be gathered and presented to collect UM benefits. For more details on this type of coverage, watch this video.

How an Attorney Can Help After a Hit and Run Accident

Hit and run crashes are often more challenging to handle than other types of traffic accidents. There may be a concern over the limited options for financial recovery because the other party left the scene, and there may be a possibility of officials being unable to locate them. However, understanding the contractual language of your insurance policy and the types of benefits that may be available to you may make all the difference.

Fortunately, an injury lawyer is there to provide assistance and information on what to expect from the UM claims process. If legal counsel is retained, the attorney handling the case may work with private investigators to track down the at-fault party. To speak with an experienced attorney regarding your situation, reach out to our law firm today.

Personal Injury Attorney in Brentwood

I’m Ed Smith, a Brentwood personal injury attorney. Hit and run drivers may make traffic collisions more of a stressful experience than they already are. If you have been injured in such an accident, you may have recourse in your situation to cover medical bills, lost income, and other losses related to the crash. Consulting with an experienced attorney may help you receive the insight you need to make a well-informed decision on how to move forward. Contact one of our personal injury lawyers for free, friendly advice and learn how we can help you after a car accident by calling (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400.

Visit the links below to learn more about our law firm:

We are featured as California members of many legal groups, including:

Photo Credit: By “ElasticComputeFarm” via Pixabay

:ds llo [cs 825]

Contact Information