North Highlands Head-on Collision
A head-on collision occurred on September 6 in North Highlands. According to authorities, the accident, which involved a black SUV and a white sedan, happened around 6:30 in the morning along Hillsdale Boulevard near Madison Avenue. In the collision, the SUV was in the wrong lane when it crashed with the sedan. Minor injuries were reported in the accident by the CHP.
How a Lawyer Helps Following an Accident Injury
Those who are injured in an accident caused by another individual’s negligence can claim personal injury damages. This pays for their pain and suffering, lost wages and all the medical costs that accumulate. Evidence proving that the at-fault driver caused the accident is a vital part of the case. It is incumbent on the plaintiff (the injured party) to prove that the defendant was at fault. In addition, they must show that the defendant’s mistake caused their injuries. It is the lawyer’s job to find this proof, calculate the damages and use it to obtain the compensation his or her client deserves.
What Exactly Do Personal Injury Investigators Do?
We send out investigators to the accident site to collect evidence. The sooner this is done, the less chance evidence has been destroyed or hidden. We review police reports for accuracy and interview witnesses who saw the accident. Then our investigators examine road maintenance, looking for problems in the pavement such as potholes and fissures that could have contributed to the accident. We also check for appropriate signage and inspect the timing of traffic signals. Our investigators seek video footage from nearby businesses and traffic cameras.
They also look for signs that the offending party was speeding, driving distracted or impaired or other negligent actions. Accident reconstruction may be performed that shows how the accident occurred. All of this information is gathered together and presented to our lawyers, who can then build a strong case for financial compensation either with the insurance company or to present in civil court.
Dangers of Head On Collisions
Head on collisions are a major cause of severe accident injuries and fatalities. Some of the reasons head on collisions occur are as follows:
- Distracted driving: Texting while driving is a major cause of traffic accidents. Only a few moments with the eyes away from the road can cause a motorist to cross over the line and cause a head on collision. Other distractions include changing a radio station, eating or drinking while driving or accessing GPS.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a common cause of head-on collisions. This is because alcohol affects judgment, reflexes and even vision. Drugs, whether they are illegal or certain prescription or over-the-counter medicines, can also affect reflexes, judgment, and coordination.
- Drowsy driving: A motorist can be guilty of drowsy driving without even realizing it. That’s what makes it so dangerous. If a driver nods off or enters a dream state, it can cause the vehicle to exit the road or cross over into an oncoming lane, causing a head-on collision.
- Unsafe passing: Two-lane roads are particularly dangerous areas because of the risk of a collision with oncoming traffic.
- Mechanical problems: A defect in the steering wheel, brakes or accelerator can affect a motorist’s ability to handle the vehicle.
Road Defects in a Head-on Collision
Defects in the design and construction of certain roads cause accidents. Flaws such as potholes result when maintenance is shoddy or delayed. This is the responsibility of a government agency, either city or state. Failure to do this is a negligent act, and a personal injury claim can be filed against the agency. Government claims have a different time limit in which a plaintiff can file. Your attorney will ensure that all documents are filed in a timely fashion.
North Highlands Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands car accident lawyer. Head-on collisions, even at low speeds, can cause serious injuries. If this happened to you, I have free and friendly advice to offer when you phone me at (916) 921-6400. Outside the area code, I can be reached free by using (800) 404-5400. A contact form online at AutoAccident.com is also available, and I will get in touch with you.
Reviews by my clients and cases that were handled by my law firm can be found at the following links:
I am a proud California member of:
- The Million Dollar Advocates only accepts lawyers who’ve won in excess of $1 million for a previous client.
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel is an invitation-only group that recognizes the lawyers with the highest standards of excellence in their practice.
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_40248311_l-2015
:cd rtc [cs 840]