Motorcycle Rider Suffers Major Injuries in Sacramento Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer. A major injury to a motorcycle rider was reported in a May 23 accident along Jackson Road when it collided with a motor vehicle in the late afternoon. No information has been released yet on the identity of the rider or medical condition. The collision caused traffic to be blocked for almost 40 minutes along Jackson Road while tow trucks cleared the site and an investigation was conducted by officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
The collision was reported at about 6:00 p.m. on Jackson Road eastbound where it connects with Bradshaw Road. The vehicle involved in the accident was reported as a red Honda Accord. Westbound traffic was affected by the accident with the sedan blocking the roadway. The names of those involved in the collision have not been released by authorities at the time of this report.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents tend to result in harm to a rider and injuries to a passenger because they have little protection when it is in a collision with a motor vehicle. Some of the following statistics may surprise you.
- 75 percent of motorcycle accidents are caused by a collision with a passenger car.
- 25 percent of motorcycle accidents are caused by the rider’s error such as striking an object.
- 2 percent of accidents are caused by road defects such as potholes, ridges and cracked pavement.
- In most collisions between a motorcycle rider and vehicle, the driver of the car says they didn’t see the motorcycle.
- In accidents involving multiple vehicles, about 66 percent are caused by a vehicle not yielding the right of way to the motorcycle rider.
- Accidents with a motorcycle are most likely to occur at intersections.
Types of Accidents Most Common for a Motorcycle Rider
Keeping an eye out in certain situations for the top causes of motorcycle accidents can help keep a rider safer on the road. These include:
- Rear-end collisions: These types of accidents are common. A biker can help avoid rear-end collisions by flashing his/her brake lights and keeping to the side of a lane when stopping. Keeping a sharp eye out for vehicles approaching from the rear can help too.
- Lane changes: These accidents are caused when a vehicle suddenly changes lanes in front of the motorcycle without leaving sufficient room. Slowing down in heavier traffic and allowing extra space may help a motorcycle rider avoid a serious injury.
- Car doors opening suddenly: This is not only a common accident with motorcyclists, it happens with other drivers too. Although a collision may be unavoidable, quickly slowing down when a crash is imminent can lessen injuries.
- Slow down when approaching intersections: Intersections are where many motorcycle accidents occur. Even though the rider may have the right of way, it’s still a good idea to slow down to help avoid a collision with a turning vehicle.
Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer. A motorcycle collision with a motor vehicle often causes severe injuries, resulting in high medical bills and lost time from work. If this happened to you or to your loved one, an experienced injury lawyer can help. Call (916) 921-6400 in Sacramento, or if you live outside the area, (800) 404-5400 is my toll-free number. I am here to offer you friendly and free advice that can help.
Learn more about my legal practice and how I’ve helped others by visiting the following pages:
As a milliondollaradvocates.com California member, I join a group of other lawyers with trial verdicts or case settlements of at least $1 million for clients.
Throughout my 36-year career as an injury lawyer, I’ve assisted many people around Sacramento and Northern California in obtaining just compensation for many types of accidents and in wrongful death claims.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/action-adult-bike-biker-417005/
:CD LLO [cs 689] cv