Modesto Man Killed in Single Vehicle Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. A local man was left with fatal injuries after a single vehicle accident that occurred southwest of Modesto on July 20, 2018. A man was driving his 2001 Dodge SUV southbound along Stone Avenue in the vicinity of Paradise Road when, for unknown reasons, he reportedly failed to slow his vehicle down before the street ended. The Dodge continued off the road and traveled down an embankment, causing the vehicle to overturn as a result. Emergency personnel were notified of the accident at approximately 7:20 p.m. and responded to the scene. Unfortunately, the man was pronounced deceased at the scene due to the severity of his sustained injuries. Authorities have publicly identified the victim as 26-year-old Sergio Ibarra of Modesto.
Our condolences go out to the friends and family of Mr. Ibarra during their time of sorrow and loss.
Reasons for Single Vehicle Accidents
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, nearly 60 percent of all fatalities reported in California in 2016 were due to single vehicle accidents. Some of the factors that can lead to these incidents include:
- Distracted Driving: This is considered as any activity that diverts the attention of a motorist from the roadway, including talking or texting on a cell phone. Even a momentary distraction has the potential to cause a crash. Other types of distractions may include changing a radio station, eating in the car, applying makeup, talking with passengers and more;
- Drunk Driving: This is a frequent cause of motor vehicle accidents. When an individual drives under the influence of alcohol, this substance can significantly reduce their ability to think clearly and react in case of an emergency;
- Inclement weather conditions: This may include snow, fog or rain, all of which can increase the odds of a single vehicle accident;
- Speeding: Considered as a major reason for single vehicle accidents as cars are more difficult to control when traveling at high speeds. This can cause a vehicle to veer out of control when reacting to an emergency situation;
- Fatigued Driving: While this is responsible for fewer collisions than other factors, daydreaming or falling asleep at the wheel due to fatigue can lead to a crash.
Other Causes for Single Vehicle Accidents
While single vehicle accidents are often assumed to be the result of driver error, that is not always the case. Outside influences may also cause these types of car accidents such as:
- Aggressive drivers or road rage incidents can cause a victim to veer off the road and crash their vehicle;
- Defective vehicle parts and equipment such as faulty accelerator pedals, brakes or steering can lead to a crash. In these types of cases, a manufacturer or other entity may be held accountable for damages in an accident;
- Road defects like potholes, upheavals, and cracks as well as inadequate warning signage can cause serious safety issues for motorists. If an accident was caused by a road hazard, a claim can be filed against the government entity responsible for maintaining these roads to recover damages incurred.
Loved One Forever Remembered
Sergio Ibarra was a beloved member of his family. His loss has devastated those who surrounded him as they will forever miss him for his kind and loving soul. A GoFundMe account has been created by the family of Mr. Ibarra to cover his funeral expenses.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
When faced with the loss of a family member due to negligence by another party or entity, an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Modesto may be able to help. A compassionate attorney understands that a grieving family may be left with many, unanswered questions following a loved one’s death after a single vehicle accident. To answer these questions, an attorney may conduct their own investigation into the accident to compile substantial evidence to present a strong wrongful death claim for compensation.
Modesto Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. Not all single vehicle accidents are caused by driver error. When an injury or death was caused by an influence outside of a driver’s control, the victim or their surviving family members may claim compensation for resulting damages. If this has happened to you or your family, please feel free to call me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for compassionate, free and friendly legal advice.
To see how I am rated by my prior clients and peers, click on the following links:
I am listed as a lifelong member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum which permits membership to trial attorneys who have won a verdict or negotiated a settlement over $1 million for a client.
Learn more about my practice by visiting my Verdicts and Settlements page for a list of my past cases and their outcomes.
Image Credit: https://pixabay.com/en/guy-man-people-dark-shadow-hands-2617866/
:ds [cs 847] cv