Two-Vehicle Crash on Westbound I-80 Causes Multiple Casualties
A two-vehicle crash in North Highlands on June 19 caused major injuries to four people. The collision occurred at about 4:30 a.m. along westbound I-80 near the off-ramp for Longview Avenue. It reportedly occurred when a vehicle struck the center divider and was crashed into by another car as it rounded the curve where the accident had happened, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Police Investigators Determining Fault in the Accident
Four people suffered major injuries in the crash and were transported to a hospital. The interstate in that area, which was closed down for cleanup and an investigation, was reopened around 6:00 a.m. The CHP will determine fault in the accident.
Major Injuries in a Traffic Accident
Although major injuries can occur in any type of accident, they are more likely to happen at highway speeds because it increases the force of impact. Some of the major injuries that occur are:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Abdominal trauma
- Spinal cord damage
- Chest trauma
The Recovery of Compensation Following an Accident With Major Injuries
Whatever type of major injuries occur, they often result in a long period of hospitalization and rehabilitation. Some require surgeries to repair the damage done in an auto accident. Our injury lawyers can help by reviewing your claim, answering any questions you have and telling you about options to recover compensation. Compensation that can be recovered in a personal injury claim include:
- Medical: All of the medical expenses caused by the accident are recoverable from the ambulance and hospital costs to surgeries, medication, testing, and rehabilitation. If the injury is ongoing at the time of settlement, future medical costs can be calculated.
- Wages: Wages lost because you are unable to work can be recovered as well as your pension and insurance benefits, salary if you are taking vacation time or sick leave, and others. If you become permanently disabled or have to take a job that pays less because of trauma caused by your major injuries, the difference can be factored into the settlement as well until you reach retirement age.
- Damages to a personal relationship: The marital relationship can be damaged by someone who has suffered major injuries in a traffic collision. Compensation may be recovered for the loss of consortium, affection and assistance in these cases.
- Scarring and disfigurement: Scarring and disfigurement occurs in many accidents with major injuries. This type of damage can cause the injured party embarrassment and humiliation as well as affect their ability to work or make them reluctant to appear in public. Damages may be recovered in these cases as well as the cost of corrective or plastic surgeries to make repairs.
- Punitive damages: When an injury is especially egregious, the injured party may be able to ask for punitive damages if the case goes to civil court. If awarded by the jury, punitive damages are often much higher than a personal injury award and are in addition to it.
North Highlands Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands car accident lawyer. Suffering injuries caused by a negligent driver doesn’t mean you have to go it alone. You may be able to recover compensation. Call our injury lawyers for free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400. We can also be reached at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us an online message.
We’re proud members of:
Our injury lawyers have helped many people in Northern California to obtain the compensation they deserve, as you can see at the links that follow:
Photo attribution: Image by Vladyslav Topyekha from Pixabay
:cd llo