Fatalities and Injuries Reported on Highway 101 in Single-Vehicle Crash
Two fatalities and multiple injuries occurred in Novato on December 29 following a single-vehicle traffic accident. The collision occurred along Highway 101 northbound close to Nave Drive around 11:41 p.m. when a Honda Civic struck the center divider and flipped into the lanes going southbound. The incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said two teenagers died and three sustained major injuries in the crash.
Two Teens Die and Three Injured in Traffic Accident
The driver of the Honda was a San Rafael teenager. The traffic accident killed the driver as well as a Novato teen who was riding in the rear seat. Of the other three teens who were injured, only one was using seat restraints, and all sustained major injuries in the collision.
Investigation Underway Into Cause of Fatal Crash
Roadways were wet at the time of the fatal crash, and the car accident is being investigated by the CHP. However, impairment did not seem to factor into the accident. The names of the deceased are not being released by the County Coroner’s Office because of the ages of those who died.
Accident Injuries and Fatalities
Other motorists may be liable if they caused a traffic accident resulting in injuries or fatalities. If the vehicle driver was at fault or died in the crash, they or their estate may be held liable. An accident attorney can help the injured party or family who lost their loved one to recover compensation.
Wrongful Death Claims
Wrongful death claims may be filed by families whose loved ones died as a result of a driver’s negligence in a traffic accident. While they will not be able to ease their grief by filing, by doing so, they can obtain compensation to avoid financial hardship as well as hold the negligent party responsible. Wrongful death lawsuits may include the following compensation recovery:
- Funeral and burial expenses can be recovered.
- Upon death, the decedent’s wages are recoupable up to the age of retirement. Wages include pension benefits, bonuses and other job perks.
- Surviving spouses may be compensated for the loss of consortium caused by their loved one’s death.
- Children who lost parental guidance and nurturing may be able to file a claim.
- In some cases, inheritance losses can be compensated.
- In some cases, the decedent’s household services can be recovered. A decedent’s normal tasks around the house are included here, including lawn care, gardening, housework, etc.
Personal Injury Claims
A personal injury claim because of a traffic accident can recover the following damages:
- In the event of a traffic collision caused by a negligent driver, medical expenses can be recovered, including future costs. Ambulance, hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, testing and physician’s bills all fall under this category.
- Injured workers can recover lost wages, as well as insurance/pension benefits and regular perks of their jobs.
- Compensation for pain and suffering can include both physical and psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Novato Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Novato personal injury lawyer. When someone in the family suffers an injury or loses a loved one and a negligent driver caused the accident, the injured person or grieving family may be able to recover damages. To speak with one of our friendly representatives about arranging a free consultation, please call (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400. We can also be contacted online. One of our accident attorneys can review your case and discuss your options for recovering damages in a virtual or in-person consultation.
As a result of our lawyers’ hard work and dedication, we are members of the following organizations:
Our injury lawyers have successfully handled a variety of cases, some of which can be found in the following links:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo