Intersection Bicycle Accident in North Highlands
Intersection Bicycle Accident in North Highlands – On August 21, 2018, an intersection bicycle accident between a motor vehicle and cyclist in North Highlands left the bike rider with what appears to be serious injuries. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the incident did not constitute a traffic hazard. The Sacramento Fire Department was called in so medics could treat the injured bicycle rider at the scene. It is unknown at this time whether the bicyclist was transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment.
Details of the Bicycle Accident
The accident happened shortly after 4:30 in the afternoon at the intersection of Walerga Road and Elkhorn Boulevard and involved a rider and a driver of a Nissan. According to a witness to the collision, the bicyclist rode out into traffic, which caused the accident. It is unknown at this time whether drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash. The CHP is investigating the bicycle accident as to cause and to place fault.
Practicing Safety While Riding a Bicycle
Bicycle riders are at a clear disadvantage when they are involved in a collision with a motor vehicle. In addition, the faster a vehicle is moving, the more likely a bicycle rider will suffer serious injuries or a fatal event. Practicing safety while biking is one way to improve the odds of not being involved in a collision. Some of the ways a rider can improve their chances of safely getting to their destination include:
- Wear an approved safety helmet. Although bicycle riders in California are not required to wear a helmet if they are over the age of 18, it only makes sense to do so. Traumatic brain injuries are a common consequence of a bicycle accident. Purchasing and using a helmet that has been approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission or by the American Society for Testing and Materials is a smart move.
- Ride a bicycle the way a responsible driver handles a motor vehicle. Cutting in and out of traffic, and making illegal maneuvers endangers the life of a bicyclist and can lead to an accident.
- Stay alert. Distracted bicycling can cause accidents, so don’t text or talk on a phone while riding. In addition, avoid such distractions as listening to music. One ear must always be uncovered so the rider can hear surrounding traffic.
- Do whatever you can to be visible to others on the road. This may include wearing bright color clothing, reflective strips after dark and, of course, ensuring that the bicycle has the appropriate reflectors.
- Ride a bike that is well maintained and appropriate for your size. A bicycle accident can happen when brakes or tires are in poor condition, or the bike is too small or large for your frame.
- Use hand signals when turning. A motorist may not realize a bicyclist is turning without giving the appropriate signal beforehand.
- Obey traffic lights and laws.
North Highlands Bicycle Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands bicycle accident lawyer. Bicycle accidents are commonly caused by negligent drivers of motor vehicles and can lead to high medical bills, pain and suffering and lost wages. If this happened to you or someone in your family, you can obtain fair compensation to pay for those outlying expenses caused by another person or entity. Please phone me at (916) 921-6400 for compassionate, free and friendly advice in the North Highlands area. If you are phoning from outside the area code, I can be reached toll-free at (800) 404-5400, or you are welcome to use our online contact form.
For more than 36 years, I’ve worked hard to obtain fair compensation for North Highland residents for their accident injuries, along with other parts of Northern California. My practice encompasses many areas, including brain injuries and all types of car accidents.
As a Million Dollar Forum member, I join other trial lawyers around the nation who have obtained a case settlement or trial verdict for a client of more than $1 million.
It’s always a good idea to find out about an attorney before calling. You can read reviews by some of my previous clients and look over cases and their conclusions by visiting:
Distinguished Counsel Member of Nation’s Top 1 Percent
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_52642627_l-2015
Source of Intersection Bicycle Accident in North Highlands – AutoAccident.com
:cd llo [cs 730] cv