Fatality Reported in State Route 20 Collision Involving Multiple Vehicles
A traffic accident fatality and injuries were reported west of Yuba City on April 25 after a two-vehicle collision. The accident happened around 12:54 p.m. along State Route 20 just east of Wyncoop Road between a Toyota Camry, an SUV, and an additional vehicle. One of the vehicles experienced a rollover in the crash, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The others ended up in a ditch.
Air Ambulance Called to Scene of Traffic Accident Fatality
All the lanes of S.R. 20 were closed down to allow two air ambulances to land. The roadway was clear around 2:50 p.m. The CHP is investigating the crash.
Traffic Accident Fatality Causes
A fatal accident can occur in many ways that involve two or more vehicles. About 95 percent of these accidents are due to driver negligence of one type or another and additional factors such as the following:
- Fatigued driving: Drivers are more likely to make mistakes when they are tired, putting themselves and others at risk. Their reactions in traffic become similar to those who are intoxicated behind the wheel.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving habits such as tailgating or cutting in and out of traffic can lead to serious accidents where multiple vehicles are involved.
- Impaired drivers: Drivers who are impaired by alcohol or drugs are more likely to be involved in collisions due to impaired judgment and reaction times.
- Speeding: Speeding is a leading cause of a traffic accident fatality because the driver’s ability to stop quickly to avoid a collision is impaired.
- Distracted driving: Even a few seconds of looking away from the road can result in a fatal accident. Eating or drinking while driving, talking on a cell phone, or texting are major causes of distracted driving.
- Sudden lane change: Unsafe lane changes can result in a vehicle merging into oncoming traffic and cause a traffic accident.
- Negligent road care: A vehicle may veer off course due to potholes, pavement upheavals, or other road hazards. If the government entity responsible for proper road maintenance fails to do so, you may file a claim against it. You have six months to file a government claim, so you may need help from an injury lawyer to ensure the paperwork is correct and filed on time. Otherwise, your case will be refused by the court if the statute of limitations has passed.
- Defective auto parts: An unexpected shift in direction might be caused by malfunctioning brakes or steering mechanisms, potentially resulting in a traffic accident fatality. It is important to retain a vehicle if a mechanical defect is suspected. When steering, braking or other problems that lead to a crash is due to a defect, a product liability lawsuit may recover damages.
Yuba City Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith. I am a Yuba City personal injury lawyer. When you’ve suffered trauma or lost your loved one in a collision due to a negligent driver, we might be able to help you recover fair compensation. By calling (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400, our accident attorneys can provide you with free and friendly advice. Please feel free to use our online contact form as well.
We can arrange a free consultation with one of our accident attorneys either in person or virtually. During your consultation, one of our lawyers can review your case, answer your questions and let you know about options to recover damages.
Our membership includes the following exclusive groups:
Our injury lawyers have served Yuba City residents for many years. Check out these links to see how we have helped others:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo