Route 162 Intersection Site of Fatal Pedestrian Accident
A fatal pedestrian accident occurred just west of Oroville near the bridge on September 5. The collision was reported by a woman in a Toyota Tacoma pickup, who called the California Highway Patrol (CHP) around 6:00 a.m. She had pulled over to the right-hand side of State Route 162 and 99 and said she believed she had struck a pedestrian.
Authorities Search for Suspected Vehicle in Fatal Pedestrian Accident
Officers arrived at the scene and discovered a deceased person. A SigAlert was issued that closed Route 162 From Highway 99 to Larkin Road. The east closure was soon expanded. An alert was issued for a suspected hit-and-run driver in a white Hyundai with significant front-end damage to the grill and headlight assembly. The suspect vehicle was eastbound from Monument Hill at the time of the crash.
Accident Investigation Ongoing
The roadway was reopened around 9:00 a.m. after CHP traffic collision investigators conducted an investigation of the accident. Whether the woman who called the police was actually involved in the fatal pedestrian accident was not reported. The County Coroner’s Office will release the name of the pedestrian once the family has been notified.
Fatalities and Injuries to Pedestrians on Highways
Pedestrians die in surprising numbers on highways, partly because motorists don’t expect to see them there. In many instances, the walker is going along the shoulder. Some of the reasons these pedestrian fatality accidents occur include:
- Distracted driving is a common cause of a pedestrian accident because the motorist isn’t paying attention and concentrating on something else.
- Drunk drivers commonly become involved in pedestrian accidents because they cannot maintain their lane, have poor vision, and have slowed reflexes.
- A pedestrian’s primary purpose on a highway is usually to cross it. On a highway, motorists travel fast and have little time to avoid hitting those on foot, which leads to a fatal pedestrian accident. Many motorists miss seeing pedestrians until it is too late to avoid hitting them.
- There are times when pedestrians fix their own vehicles or push them off the road due to mechanical problems. This makes them vulnerable to being struck by another car.
- Pedestrians injured on interstate highways may have been involved in a previous accident and stepped out of the vehicle to exchange information with another driver. Occasionally, pedestrians are injured when they are ejected from their vehicle during a collision.
Claim for Wrongful Death
A wrongful death lawsuit can sometimes be filed when pedestrians are killed on an interstate highway. It is possible to sue any driver who causes a pedestrian accident if that motorist is negligent. An accident attorney can investigate the collision and determine if the driver’s negligence caused the death. If so, the family has the right to recover compensation.
If you’re looking for an injury attorney, here are a few tips from accident lawyer Ed Smith:
Oroville Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Oroville personal injury lawyer, Ed Smith. Families may wish to find out if they can seek compensation when a loved one’s death was caused by a motorist’s negligence. If you need our friendly and free advice, call (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. Our online contact form is also available.
Among the honors we have received are our memberships in the following organizations:
The links down below will tell you how the injury lawyers in our firm have helped others get compensation after an accident:
Photo attribution: Image by NoName_13 from Pixabay
: cd llo [cs 623]