State Route 32 Accident Causes Pedestrian Fatality
A fatal pedestrian accident occurred in Chico on February 24 that caused the highway to be closed. The accident involved a motor vehicle and occurred along State Route 32 at E. 8th Street shortly before 6:15 p.m. Officers with the Chico Police Department arrived at the accident site and performed life-saving measures. However, the pedestrian died at the accident scene.
Investigation Underway Into Fatal Pedestrian Accident
A witness stated that a vehicle had hit the pedestrian, which was corroborated by another driver who remained at the accident scene. Neither drugs nor alcohol appeared to be involved in the cause of the accident. Police closed the intersection to traffic going west at Forest Avenue as an investigation was carried out. Those with any information about the fatal pedestrian collision are asked to call the traffic unit of the Chico Police Department at (530) 895-4911.
Causes of Fatal Pedestrian Accidents Near Intersections
Intersection-related pedestrian accidents are a major public safety issue. There are many different causes of fatal pedestrian collisions near intersections.
Government neglect or improper design of an intersection such as the following can cause a pedestrian accident. Since a government claim must be filed within six months, obtaining help from an injury lawyer may be advisable.
- Inadequate visibility – A lack of adequate visibility due to poor lighting or obscured signage can make it difficult for drivers and pedestrians to be aware of each other’s presence. This increases the risk of a collision occurring.
- Roadway neglect – Potholes, upheavals, debris in the roadway, and other maintenance problems can cause a fatal pedestrian accident.
- Poorly designed intersections – Intersections that are not designed with pedestrian safety in mind can create dangerous conditions for walkers and drivers alike. This includes intersections without marked crosswalks, inadequate signage or inadequate space for vehicles to safely maneuver around pedestrians.
Negligent drivers are responsible for many pedestrian accidents resulting in fatalities such as the following:
- Distracted driving – Drivers who are distracted by cell phone use, eating while driving, or other distractions can fail to pay attention to their surroundings, increasing the risk of a collision that leads to a fatal pedestrian collision.
- Impairment – Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs can significantly impair driving ability and reaction time, making it difficult to recognize pedestrians in crosswalks or other areas near intersections.
- Fatigue – A driver who is overly tired reacts to traffic in a way that is similar to someone who is impaired.
- Speeding and other types of reckless driving – Those who speed, tailgate, cut in and out of traffic and other behaviors can easily cause a fatal pedestrian accident.
Benefits of Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
When a loved one dies due to the negligence of another person or entity, family members may be able to file a wrongful death claim. A successful wrongful death lawsuit can result in much-needed funds to support surviving family members during their time of grief. Filing a wrongful death lawsuit is also how family members can hold the wrongdoers accountable and ensure that justice is served.
Chico Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith. I’m a Chico personal injury lawyer. You may benefit from consulting an accident lawyer if you lost a loved one in a collision. To speak with a representative, call (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 to make an appointment for a free and friendly in-person or virtual consultation with one of our accident attorneys. If you prefer, you can also reach us through our online contact form.
We have the honor of belonging to the following organizations:
Information about the assistance our injury lawyers have provided to others can be found at the following links:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo