I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. An elderly woman lost her life in a tragic car accident near Oakdale on July 3, 2018. The woman was traveling eastbound along Highway 120 in her Scion when she slowed down to turn left onto Cleveland Avenue at approximately 7:30 p.m. While doing so, the woman was rear-ended by a Ford which caused her vehicle to be propelled into the westbound lane in the direct path of a Chevrolet, whose driver was unable to stop in time to avoid a collision. The impact from the crash reportedly pinned the woman inside her vehicle for a short time before bystanders extricated her out of her vehicle to render emergency aid. Unfortunately, it was too late as the woman passed away at the scene due to the severity of her injuries. The victim has been identified by officials as 71-year-old Wanda Hendrickson of Escalon.
I would like to send my heartfelt thoughts and prayers to those grieving the loss of their loved one during this difficult time.
Rear End Accidents
Approximately half of all motor vehicle accidents nationwide are rear end accidents, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. The severity of these accidents are based upon the size of the rear vehicle and speed of the collision. For instance, a large truck can leave smaller passenger vehicle occupants with traumatic injuries due to its overwhelming size and height. Conversely, passenger vehicle occupants can receive fatal injuries when colliding with the rear of a large truck and going under its back frame, often referred to as an underride accident.
Causes of Rear End Accidents
Common causes for rear-end accidents include:
- Aggressive driving like being in a hurry and traveling at high speeds can make it less likely for a motorist to stop in time if traffic conditions change;
- Brake failure caused by defective brakes can prevent a motorist from safely stopping;
- Distracted driving like eating, texting or fiddling with the radio are all reasons why a motorist’s attention may be diverted from the road;
- Drugged and drunk driving is a major cause of rear end accidents since intoxicants can decrease reaction time and interfere with a motorist’s judgment of distance;
- Inclement weather conditions like rain or fog can restrict the driver’s view of the road ahead, further increasing their chances of a rear-end collision;
- Speeding or traveling too fast for current traffic conditions can reduce a driver’s ability to slow down to avoid a collision;
- Unsafe following distance, or tailgating, can significantly increase the likelihood of a rear end crash.
Watch YouTube Video – By: Modesto Wrongful Death Attorney Ed Smith – What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
The following video discusses who is eligible to file this type of claim and what type of financial compensation may be awarded in the event of a loved one’s death.
What You Can Recover in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In a wrongful death claim, financial amounts awarded can vary based on a number of factors like the age, health, education and job secured by the decedent and other considerations. Certain surviving family members under California Code of Civil Procedure section 337.60 may be able to recover financial losses such as:
- Burial and funeral expenses;
- End-of-life medical expenses, which may be recovered in a survival action (e.g. the decedent suffered serious injuries in the accident and succumbed to their injuries shortly after or during emergency treatment);
- Lost benefits like retirement, bonuses, family health insurance coverage and other related contributions;
- Loss of guidance, emotional support, companionship and love;
- The monetary value assigned to the decedent’s contributions to his or her household, which may consist of yard work, cooking, paying bills, tending to children and preparation of tax returns;
- Loss of consortium, in the case of a partner or spouse.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
Losing someone you love is one of the hardest things you can go through in life, especially when that loss was caused by someone else’s negligence. If this has happened in your family, contacting an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Modesto may be the furthest thing from your mind. However, it may be the only way in holding a responsible party or entity accountable through financial compensation on behalf of your loved one. While no amount of compensation can bring your loved one back to you, monies awarded for damages suffered can help with expenses like the cost of a funeral and other expenses associated with the loss of life of your loved one.
Modesto Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death attorney. The loss of a loved one due to wrongful death is devastating and can leave an everlasting impact on the entire family. Receiving compensation for the financial loss does not necessarily assist in alleviating the sense of bereavement and grief but can help lessen financial worry. If you have lost someone you love as a result of negligence by another party or entity, I am here to provide you with compassionate, free and friendly advice. I take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay nothing upfront. I get paid only if you have a successful verdict or settlement. Contact me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Please feel free to browse our client comments and ratings at:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates as a member of California. I join other trial lawyers who have obtained million dollar awards for a previous client in case settlements or verdicts.
To peruse a list of some of our past cases and their results, go to our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Credit: By “jclk8888” via Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons
:ds bw [cs 982] cv