Elk Grove Dog Bite Injuries Can Be Dangerous
Elk Grove dog bite injuries can be dangerous, severe and disabling. Although dogs are required to be on a leash in California, many injuries still occur. Around the nation, about 1,000 people are treated each day in emergency rooms for injuries caused by a dog bite, and California is the number one state for dog bites. Certain breeds are considered more liable to bite than others, but any dog can suddenly turn on a human. Learn what to do when a dog bites and what laws govern attacks in California.
What If the Elk Grove Dog Bite Injuries are Minor?
Some dog bite injuries may be minor and barely break the skin. The dog may have been actively aggressive or just playing. However, because of the risk of infection from dog bite injuries, certain precautions should be taken. According to the Cleveland Clinic, if you or your loved one has been bitten by a dog and received a minor injury, doing the following is recommended:
- Squeeze or press on the injury to cause a little bleeding. This can help flush out any bacteria that was in the dog’s mouth.
- Use water and a mild type of soap to clean the wound.
- Use a clean cloth to apply pressure to slow the bleeding.
- Cover the wound with antibiotic cream.
- Bandage the wound with a sterile dressing, and go to a doctor.
- After seeing the doctor, follow the directions for changing the bandage, take prescribed medications, if any, and keep an eye out for signs that can indicate an infection such as swelling, redness, and fever. Up to 50 percent of all dog bite injuries contain bacteria that can cause an infection.
Dog Bite Injuries in California
In California, under Civil Code 3342, dog owners are held responsible when their pet bites anyone, regardless of whether it happens on a private or public property. The individual who receives an injury only has to be in that location legally. However, those who are trespassing on a property or are members of the police or armed forces going about their duties are exceptions to this rule governing dog bite injuries. In Elk Grove, there are local laws to protect those bitten by a dog. You can contact Animal Services to report a dog bite so it will be investigated.
Elk Grove Dog Bite Injuries That Are Commonly Incurred
The types of injuries that occur from a dog bite depend on a number of different factors, including the size of the person and dog. Obviously, big dogs are more likely to inflict worse damage than small dogs. However, this also relates to the size and strength of the person who has been attacked. Children and the elderly are at higher risk than others of suffering severe dog bite injuries. Common locations on the body for injuries include the legs and arms, feet, hands, face and neck. Other ways dog bites can inflict harm are:
- Nerves and tissues can suffer massive damage from dog bite injuries, requiring surgery to repair disfigurement. However, loss of sensation because of damaged nerves may be permanent.
- Disease transmission and infection occur from dog bites. From rabies and the bacterial illness leptospirosis to Campylobacteriosis, which can be life-threatening in some people, transmissible diseases are a danger.
- Facial damage caused by bites can cause permanent damage to the nose, eyes or other areas, resulting in disfigurement.
- Emotional and psychological damage may necessitate professional treatment and range from a fear of dogs to nightmares, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Elk Grove Dog Bite Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove dog bite attorney. Not all dogs are man’s best friend and some, unfortunately, injure humans, leaving them with physical discomfort and rising medical bills. In other cases, a dog attack can cause the death of a loved one. If you’ve suffered damages due to dog bite injuries, I may be able to help. Please call me at (916) 694-0002 in the Elk Grove area for free and friendly advice. Long-distance callers from elsewhere in Northern California can reach me at (800) 404-5400 free of charge.
I belong to the Million Dollar Forum as a California member. Its members are top trial attorneys who have a proven record of winning in excess of $1 million for a client through a verdict or settlement.
Finding out about a legal practice when looking for representation is a good idea. At the following links, you will find reviews by my former clients and my peers along with some of our prior cases and how they concluded:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/animal-dog-black-canine-pet-1846742/
:cd llo [cs 774] cv