October 2020 – Welcome to the Spooky Season
October 2020 is almost upon us. At the beginning of every month, we like to look at some of the more obscure food-related “National Days” that occur over the next few weeks. Here are some of October’s offerings and our suggestions on how to celebrate each:
- October 1: National Homemade Cookies Day. Acknowledge the day by baking these Easy Sugar Cookies from Allrecipes.com.
- October 2: Fried Scallops Day. This delicacy may be more of an East Coast thing, but we have restaurants where you can indulge – in particular, Cape Cod Fish & Chips has excellent Yelp reviews.
- October 4: National Taco Day. Some of us say that every day is taco day. We are fortunate in Sacramento to have so many outstanding Mexican restaurants. Our favorite places to grab a taco are Yolanda’s, Don Chuy’s Birria, and Taqueria Rincon Alteno.
- October 6: National Noodle Day. Seems pretty basic, right? Boil some spaghetti or slurp a bowl of ramen.
- October 8: National Fluffernutter Day. Again, this may be more of an East Coast thing. Or a Depression-era thing. Whatever its origins, a fluffernutter is a sandwich made with white bread, peanut butter, and marshmallow cream – yum!
- October 9: National Moldy Cheese Day. Maybe this “National Day” thing has gone too far. If stinky cheese is your jam, check out the great selection at Corti Brothers.
- October 11: National Sausage Pizza Day. Without a National Some Kind of Pizza Day, it would not be a month. Roma’s II is a contender for the best sausage pizza in town.
- October 13: National Yorkshire Pudding Day. We will look at this day as an opportunity to learn what Yorkshire Pudding is. Here is the explanation from Wikipedia.
- October 15: National Cheese Curd Day. This reminds us of Wisconsin, but we will keep things on the West Coast and suggest a tour of the Tillamook Creamery on your next Oregon trip.
- October 16: National Liqueur Day. Add a splash of Chambord to a flute of sparkling wine, and you have a Chambord Kir Royale – cheers!
- October 17: National Pasta Day. Did we not just celebrate noodles a few days ago? Alright, this time, let’s go all out with this decadent lasagna recipe.
- October 18: National Chocolate Cupcake Day. Don’t mind if we do. Keep it gluten-free and vegan by ordering from Pushkin’s.
- October 19: National Seafood Bisque Day. Hmm…bisque? A lot of grocery stores carry this in their refrigerated soup sections. Red Lobster probably has it. We suggest freestyle a bit – seafood bisque must be a close cousin to clam chowder, right? And October is the best month to visit Half Moon Bay for a bowl at Sam’s.
- October 22: National Nut Day. In celebration of this particular day, enjoy the following YouTube video.
- October 25: National Greasy Food Day. Some of us have been waiting our whole lives for this day. How long has it been since you’ve enjoyed a basket of warm, greasy tortilla chips at Kiko’s?
- October 27: National American Beer Day. To wash down the oily residue from two days ago, fill your growler at Track 7.
- October 29: National Oatmeal Day. Pass.
- October 30: National Candy Corn Day. A truly polarizing day. You love this stuff, or you hate it. If you happen to enjoy the disgusting little cavity kernels, enjoy. We won’t judge you much.
- October 31: Halloween. October wraps up with the ultimate treat night – and it’s on a Saturday this year! While there may be fewer trick-or-treaters out in the streets (thanks, COVID-19), we hope this annual spooky celebration is happy and safe for you and your families.
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
Hi, I’m Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento, California. I’ve been helping Sacramentans injured in car accidents through no fault of their own for almost 40 years. If you are in this unfortunate situation, my firm will offer free and friendly advice. Call us at (916) 921-6400 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400. You may also contact us online.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/sweet-food-halloween-dessert-316373/
mm llo [cs 710]