Rider of Three-Wheel Vehicle Dies in Dump Truck Accident
The rider of a three-wheel vehicle died in a dump truck accident northeast of Napa on September 19 after they collided along a curve. The accident occurred around 2:39 p.m. along Highway 128 near Wragg Canyon Road. The rider of the three-wheeler was identified as 67-year-old Winters resident Bobby Patton. A GoFundMe page has been set up for the family of Bobby Patton to assist with final resting costs.
Three-Wheel Vehicle Reportedly Crosses Center Line and Crashes With Dump Truck
According to the Napa District California Highway Patrol (CHP), Patton was going west, and the dump truck was going in the opposite direction when the smaller vehicle crossed into the opposing lane. The two vehicles collided head-on, throwing the rider off the trike and onto the roadway, where he died at the accident scene.
Investigation Being Conducted in Fatal Three-Wheel Vehicle Accident
The rider’s name was released on Wednesday, September 20, by the County Coroner’s Office. Neither drugs nor alcohol appeared to factor into the dump truck accident. The highway between an area near Monticello Dam and Wragg Canyon Road was closed to traffic as an investigation was undertaken by the CHP traffic collision unit. It reopened around three hours later.
Accidents Where Vehicles Cross the Centerline
Fatal collisions where a vehicle crosses the centerline on a roadway are normally the driver’s fault. However, other circumstances can occur that result in this type of accident, such as:
- The vehicle is going around a curve, which is too sharp. When a curve is improperly designed, it can cause the driver to overcorrect and cross over into opposing traffic. Negligent roadway maintenance can also lead to an accident involving another vehicle or others if they hit a pothole, pavement upheaval, fallen limbs or others. A claim might be possible against the government entity in charge of maintenance or roadway design. Since the time limit to file such a claim is six months, getting assistance from an injury lawyer may be advisable.
- Fallen cargo from a vehicle or big rig can block the roadway or cause the driver of a vehicle to swerve and go out of control. If the driver can be located, they may be liable for accident injuries or a wrongful death.
- A malfunction could cause a three-wheel vehicle to slide into the opposing lane. If the vehicle is inspected and found to contain a defective part, the manufacturer and others can be held liable. An accident attorney can help the injured party or family file a product liability claim to recover damages.
Filing a Claim for Wrongful Death
If someone dies in an accident caused by the negligent actions of another person or entity, the family (spouse and children of the deceased) has the right to file a wrongful death claim. Recoverable compensation includes lost wages until the deceased person’s retirement age, end-of-life expenses, compensation for the spouse’s and children’s personal loss and others.
As Ed Smith explains in the video below, people seeking legal assistance should be looking for the following traits in a lawyer:
Personal Injury Attorney in Napa
I am Ed Smith. I’m a personal injury attorney in Napa. Families who lose a loved one as a result of the negligence of another driver have a right to seek compensation. We can help you determine whether you might be able to file a claim by calling (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400. A contact form can also be found online.
The work we do is taken very seriously by our accident attorneys as members of these organizations:
Below are examples of how our accident injury lawyers have been able to obtain compensation for people in the following situations:
- A few of our Settlements and Verdicts in wrongful death cases
- Reviews by former clients found on Yelp
- Ratings and reviews on Google
:cd llo [cs 673] ds