Drunk Driving Accident Injures Four Near Modesto
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto auto accident lawyer. Drunk driving is suspected as a factor in a car accident that occurred in Modesto on June 2, 2018. At approximately 2:55 in the morning, emergency personnel responded to a call of a traffic collision along Oakdale Road at La Force Drive near Naraghi Lake. Upon arrival, crews discovered a pickup truck and a hatchback involved in the crash. Four parties, including the two motorists and their passengers, were taken to area hospitals for treatment. An update on their conditions has not yet been released by officials.
Local authorities have not yet determined a cause of the accident. However, the Modesto Police Department reported that one of the drivers was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.
Drunk Driving Statistics
Driving while intoxicated continues as a major concern statewide and throughout the country. Despite an emphasis on national education and harsher punishments of drunk driving, it still remains a leading cause of serious injury and fatality in the United States. Below are some statistics on drunk driving:
- Drivers with a high blood alcohol concentration of 0.15 percent or higher are at a higher risk of passing away in a crash or suffering severe injuries (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety);
- Each day, nearly twenty-nine individuals pass away in alcohol-impaired car accidents (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration);
- Of the 10,497 traffic fatalities caused by drunk driving, 1,233 involved children ages 0 to 14 years (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention);
- Almost one-third of all motorists apprehended or convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol tend to be repeat offenders (according to Mothers Against Drunk Driving).
Common Injuries from Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving accidents have the potential to cause lifelong injuries to those affected. Some of the common injuries sustained in these accidents are as follows:
- Cervical Sprain, or commonly known as “whiplash”, transpires when trauma is exerted to the neck through sudden movement of the body. This injury can further lead to discomfort when performing daily tasks.
- Headaches can arise from a wide array of sources from stress and anxiety to sleep deprivation and pain from other injuries. A number of signs and symptoms to be wary of when experiencing headaches include aching or dull pain, sensations of pressure or tightness across the forehead or sides and back of the head, tenderness within the neck, shoulders, head, and scalp and lack of appetite.
- In some accidents, the chest may be propelled into the steering wheel column with significant force. Depending on the severity of the crash, the frontal and side airbags may deploy. Sitting in close proximity to the steering wheel or dashboard, especially when not restrained by a seatbelt, can cause serious chest blunt trauma from the rapid deployment of the airbags.
- Some injuries, such as brain and head injuries, are not always immediately detected as their symptoms are often delayed following an accident. As time goes on, the injury may increase in severity, making it more difficult to treat once it has been diagnosed. Those who have suffered trauma to the head should seek medical attention promptly after an accident to receive the best prognosis possible.
Why You Should Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Individuals who have been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence have the right to collect fair compensation. If this has happened to you or someone you care about, it is important to discuss your options with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Modesto. A skilled attorney can communicate effectively with insurance companies to bring your case to a successful conclusion.
Modesto Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto car accident lawyer. Drunk driving not only puts the motorist at risk but also endangers the lives of others on the road. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you need the assistance of a skilled injury lawyer. Call me today at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive free and friendly legal advice.
Check out what other clients think of my practice at:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates as a California member.
To see how I resolved earlier cases, go to my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Attribution: By “energepic.com” via Pexels under CC0 License
:ds [cs 782] cv