Fatal Run-Off-Road Accident Occurs on Interstate 5
A motorist in Elk Grove died in a run-off-road accident on December 4 while he was traveling on the interstate. The fatal collision occurred around 3:58 a.m. along Interstate 5 as the driver was entering the on-ramp for Laguna Boulevard at a reported high speed. The motorist lost control of his vehicle going left and then passed down an embankment into a tree, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Driver Dies in Run-Off-Road Accident
The truck the driver was in caught fire, and the motorist did not make it out. Firefighters with the Cosumnes Fire Department discovered the driver dead inside the truck. The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has notified the family and released the identity of the decedent: 43-year-old Palwinder Singh Bagri.
Non-Driver Error Causes of a Run-Off-Road accident
In addition to driver error, there are other causes of accidents where the vehicle exits the road that are unrelated to the driver’s actions. Poor road design or defects in the roadway can lead to this type of accident if a vehicle is unable to navigate difficult turns or curves safely. If the design in the roadway or poor maintenance leads to a run-off-road accident, a claim may be placed against the government agency in charge. A plaintiff has only six months to file, so getting legal help might be advisable.
Animals in the Road
Animals in the roadway, such as an escaped cow or horse, may also cause a driver to become distracted or take evasive action that leads to an accident. If livestock ends up causing an accident that results in the vehicle leaving the road, the owner may be held liable for related injuries.
Auto Part Defects
Mechanical problems such as brake failure, sticking accelerators, or tire blowouts can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles, leading to a run-off-road accident. Retaining the vehicle, so it can be checked for defects is advisable. If a defect is found, an auto product liability claim might be placed against the part’s designer and manufacturer, as well as others. Negligence doesn’t come into play in California, only that the defective product was used as it was intended and unaltered.
Recovering Compensation Following a Wrongful Death
By filing a wrongful death claim, the immediate family of the decedent may be able to recover the following damages:
- The family is entitled to recover the cost of their loved one’s funeral and burial expenses.
- Earnings by the decedent can be recovered until they would have reached their normal retirement age. This includes all benefits such as pension and insurance and other monies they would have received.
- Damages for loss of consortium and the love and affection the decedent provided to their spouse are recoverable.
- The family’s children may recover compensation for their loss of guidance and nurturing the decedent provided. This includes any children who received at least half their support from the deceased.
- Loss of household assistance can be recovered. These include work around the home normally performed by the decedent, such as lawn or motor vehicle care, housework, etc.
Elk Grove Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, an Elk Grove wrongful death lawyer. For more information on filing a wrongful death claim when your loved one died as a result of another’s negligence, call (916) 694-0002 or (800) 404-5400. A contact form can also be found online. In addition to reviewing your case and explaining what options are available to you for recovering compensation, we can also answer any questions you may have.
Our membership in the following organizations is an honor:
Find out how our injury lawyers helped others gain fair compensation by clicking the links below:
:cd llo ds