Double Accident in Same Location Under Investigation in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Sunday, June 10, was a stressful day in North Sacramento along westbound Interstate 80 when two collisions occurred at the same time in almost the identical location. One of the accidents that occurred involved four or five vehicles. The other involved two. At least four of the vehicles involved in the two collisions were unable to be moved following the accidents. This caused traffic problems since it took over an hour to have the vehicles towed and clear the roadway. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), injuries were reported in the collisions.
Both collisions occurred at the West El Camino Avenue off-ramp in the Arden-Arcade area at about 9:00 in the morning. Two vehicles were on the right-hand side, blocking the first lane. Others were in the HOV lane. The vehicles involved included a Toyota Camry, Toyota pickup, Kia Sorento, Audi SUV and Hyundai Elantra. The CHP is in charge of investigation the cause of the two crashes.
Multiple Vehicle Crashes
Multiple vehicle collisions are more complex than other types of accidents, since several drivers may share responsibility. Off ramps are common locations for incidents of reckless driving such as runoff road accidents, rear-end collisions and sideswipes. Speed can be a significant factor in off-ramp accidents when drivers do not slow down sufficiently in the deceleration lane while entering the exit ramp from the freeway.
Safe Driving Practices on Off-Ramps
Driving on an off-ramp is not the same as highway driving, although some of the same safety precautions should be kept in mind when exiting.
- Slowly reduce speed in the deceleration lane.
- Prepare to stop when a stop sign or traffic light is at the bottom of the exit ramp.
- Note the posted speed limit and avoid speeding.
- Leave extra room between other vehicles. This helps to avoid an accident if the vehicle in front stops suddenly.
- If you miss your exit, take the next one. Never cross over a lane or slam on the brakes in an attempt to take an exit in the last instant.
- Be aware of potential slowdowns ahead.
Investigating a Multiple Vehicle Crash
Investigations of car accidents are normally performed by police and insurance companies. Because of the complexity of a multiple vehicle crash, it is important to consult with an experienced car accident lawyer to obtain fair compensation. Injuries in a multiple vehicle accident can be multiplied by the number of times a car is struck from different directions. An investigation conducted by an attorney in this type of car accident includes the following:
- Checking to see if other drivers were negligent is a primary focus. This can happen when a driver is following too closely, speeding, driving aggressively or had a mechanical failure. A driver might also be drunk driving or texting on a cell phone when the collision occurred.
- The investigator will look at whether road design or maintenance contributed to the crash. Because these are issues handled by a government entity such as the county or state government, they are responsible in the event a road defect caused an accident.
- Accident reconstruction may be performed to determine which vehicle caused the initial collision and how the other vehicles became involved. This can be determined by the position of the vehicles, damage found to each car or truck and marks left on the pavement. For example, a vehicle that shows no sign of braking before a collision would leave no tire marks on the roadway.
- Damages are determined by the percentage of fault assigned to the negligent drivers involved in the accident. A driver who is tailgating would be assigned 100 percent of the fault if no other issues were involved. However, if the driver was not tailgating and was rear-ended by a third driver, causing him to hit a vehicle in front, neither the middle or first driver would be at fault. In this instance, the driver of the first and middle vehicles would be able to collect 100 percent of awarded damages. The third driver would be liable for 100 percent of the damages.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Because accidents involving multiple vehicles can cause numerous injuries, the person who was hurt may face extensive hospitalization and resulting medical bills, along with other expenses. For friendly and free advice, please phone me at (916) 921-6400 locally or at (800) 404-5400 outside the area.
Reviews and comments by some of my former clients can be found at the following links, along with information on previous cases:
As a milliondollaradvocates.com member, I join other trial lawyers who have won trial verdicts or case settlements in excess of $1 million for a previous clients.
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/accident-action-auto-automobile-220996/
:cd [cs 832] cv