Brain Injuries in Stockton, California
It can be a difficult and confusing time when brain injuries happen due to an accident. You may be dealing with medical appointments, therapy and the stress of not knowing what the future holds. In addition, you may be facing astronomical medical expenses and other losses.
It is essential to have an experienced Stockton brain injury lawyer on your side to help you navigate the legal process and get the compensation you deserve.
They will help you gain a clear understanding of your legal rights and options so that you can make the best decisions for your family.
What Type of Compensation Can You Obtain After Brain Injuries?
If you or someone you love was hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you might be entitled to compensation. Let’s delve into this a little more:
- Lost income: This category deals with not only lost wages but the bonuses, commissions, insurance and benefits as well as other perks of the job that are lost. In the event that you are disabled by the injury and can no longer work, you may be able to collect the loss of future advances in your line of employment that would have increased your income level and ability to care for your family. Generally, you can collect for these losses until the time of retirement.
- Medical expenses: A TBI is a challenge for many people long after they are discharged from the hospital. Your in-hospital medical expenses include emergency room fees, transportation to the facility, medication, room, physician and surgical charges and others. The cost of physical and occupational rehabilitation is also covered. So is the need for assistive devices, ramps and other home improvements that help you get around, including in your automobile.
- Pain and suffering: A TBI can be emotionally and mentally challenging for anyone, and training yourself to make your way outside of the hospital can take time and an enormous amount of effort. Any related costs may be covered in a claim so that you can pay attention to healing, including payment for treatment for PTSD by a healthcare professional.
- Punitive damages: Your Stockton brain injury lawyer can request punitive damages in cases where the negligence was particularly egregious. These are meant to teach the at-fault party a lesson and perhaps keep it from happening again. The court decides on the extent of punitive damages.
What Are the Types of Brain Injuries?
Many different types of brain injuries can occur in an accident. Some of the more common types of brain injuries include:
- Concussions: A concussion occurs when the head is suddenly and violently jarred. Concussions can cause a variety of symptoms, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue and more.
- Contusions: A contusion occurs when the head hits an object or the ground. Contusions can cause bleeding and swelling in the brain.
- Coup-contrecoup injuries: A coup-contrecoup injury happens when the head hits an object and then bounces off, causing damage to both sides of the brain.
- Diffuse axonal injuries: A diffuse axonal injury occurs when the head is violently shaken. Diffuse axonal injuries can cause widespread damage to the brain.
- Skull fractures: A skull fracture occurs when the bones of the skull are broken. They can result in bleeding and brain swelling.
What Are the Symptoms of Brain Injuries?
The symptoms of a TBI can vary depending on the type and severity of the trauma. Some common symptoms of an injury to the brain include:
- Sleep problems
- Personality changes
- Memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood swings
If you or someone you love has suffered a TBI, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. They can have a serious, long-term impact on your health, so it is important to get the treatment you need.
What Types of Accidents Can Cause Brain Injuries?
There are many different causes of brain trauma, but some of the more common causes include the following:
- Car collisions: Car accidents are one of the leading causes of TBIs. When two cars collide, the force of the impact can cause serious damage to the brain.
- Truck crashes: Truck accidents can also cause serious brain injuries. Because trucks are much larger than cars, the force of a collision can be much greater.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycle collisions can lead to brain trauma. Because motorcycle riders do not have any protection around them, they are at a higher risk of sustaining a brain injury in an accident.
- Slip and fall accidents: Slip and fall accidents are another leading cause of TBIs. When a person falls, the force of the impact can cause serious damage to the brain.
- Defective products: Brain injuries can also be caused by defective products, medical malpractice and other acts of negligence. If someone else’s negligence has led to your brain injury, you may have a case. No matter how your accident happened or who is responsible, we work hard to help. We have experience handling all types of brain injury cases and know what it takes to succeed.
How Can a Brain Injury Lawyer Help?
If you or someone you love has suffered a brain injury, you may be entitled to compensation. We will review your case and explain your legal options. Brain trauma can have a devastating impact on your life, but we will do everything possible to help your case resolve successfully.
Stockton Brain Injury Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton brain injury lawyer. Your medical expenses and other costs may be covered by compensation if you or a loved one suffered a brain injury caused by someone else’s negligence. Get free and friendly advice from one of our accident lawyers by calling (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400. You can also reach out to us online.
Below are some links that will give you more information about how our injury lawyers have helped others:
These organizations make us proud to be a member:
Photo attribution: Photo by MART PRODUCTION: https://www.pexels.com/photo/technology-computer-head-health-7089020/
:cd llo