Critical Injuries Reported in Modesto Car Crash
Critical injuries were reported in a Modesto car crash on the afternoon of April 21, 2019. The two-vehicle collision occurred along North Ninth Street and Coldwell Avenue shortly before 5:00 in the afternoon. Photographs of the scene showed a Honda Civic that appeared to have been broadsided by a Jeep SUV. Officials said an unidentified woman was transported by ambulance to the hospital for treatment of serious injuries. Authorities have not yet released an update regarding the condition of the injured woman.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
Medical attention should be sought promptly after a car wreck for all of your injuries. Since the shock and stress of an injury may not present itself immediately after an accident, you may not feel pain right away. Sometimes symptoms of an injury will not be apparent until weeks after a crash such as a traumatic brain injury. If left untreated, undiagnosed injuries may worsen. It is essential to meet with a primary provider as soon as possible. This way, you can document your symptoms and trauma after a crash to ensure you receive the most effective treatment.
Common Injuries in a Car Accident
In a car accident, drivers and passengers may be slammed against the airbags, seat belts, windshield, steering wheel, or dashboard of the vehicle. They may also be struck by debris torn from the car or improperly stored cargo. Any of these can result in traumatic injuries such as:
- Abdominal Trauma: Penetration or blunt force trauma can cause damage to the kidneys, stomach, or spleen. This can present a risk of infection or severe loss of blood as well as organ failure.
- Chest Damage: When a motorist is thrown into the steering wheel column in a car wreck, this may cause damage to the sternum. This can rupture the diaphragm, fracture the ribs or pierce an internal organ.
- Fractured Ribs: A car accident can commonly result in broken bones. Ribs often fracture easily. If they are displaced, the sharp ends of the bones can penetrate organs and cause life-threatening complications such as organ failure or infection.
- Internal Injury: Trauma to the vascular system or organs can cause internal bleeding. Excessive blood loss caused by a severe injury or a delay in treatment can cause an injured person to undergo cardiac arrest or shock.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: A jolt or blow to the head can propel the brain violently against the inside of the skull. This can result in a concussion or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Emotional stability, coordination, and cognitive function may be compromised by a mild to severe TBI.
Types of Recoverable Damages in an Auto Accident
If another driver was to blame for a car crash, an injured party might be able to collect compensation for damages incurred. These may include economic losses such as costs of past and future medical treatment, lost wages, property damage, and loss of earning capacity. Noneconomic damages may also be considered in a personal injury claim such as diminished quality of life, emotional distress, mental anguish, loss of consortium, disfigurement, and pain and suffering. In cases where an egregious act is involved such as drunk driving, the injured individual may seek punitive damages from the at-fault party. These are not intended to compensate the injured person. Instead, they are designed to punish the negligent party and discourage such conduct by them and others in the future. To learn about the factors that affect the value of a claim for personal injury, watch the following video.
How a Modesto Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
The aftermath of an auto accident can be stressful. Those injured in a collision are often unaware that they have options when they retain an experienced injury lawyer. An attorney can help collect and preserve necessary evidence, communicate effectively with insurance carriers, and prepare a strong case for fair compensation.
Modesto Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto personal injury lawyer. Regardless of whether you have been involved in a minor or severe auto accident, it is critical to understand the impact it has on your life and that of your loved ones. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident due to the fault of another, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly case advice.
Our former clients have left ratings and reviews of our law office at:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates. Membership of this forum is open to trial attorneys who have obtained $1 million or more for a client. I also belong to the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Invitation of this group is permitted to the top one percent of attorneys around the country who exhibit the highest legal excellence.
Go to our Verdicts and Settlements page to look over some prior cases our law office has handled.
Picture Credit: By “ElasticComputeFarm” via Pixabay
:ds llo [cs 832]