House Fire on Cedar Drive Forces People From Their Home
Six people escaped a house fire in Citrus Heights on July 1 after hearing smoke detectors go off in the home. It was around 1:00 a.m. when crews with the Sac Metro Fire responded to a call about a house fire along Cedar Drive near Auburn Boulevard to discover heavy fire billowing out the home’s front. Smoke detectors had, fortunately, alerted the six people inside in time to leave the house safely. There were no injuries reported. The cause of the fire is under investigation to determine the reason for it.
The Dangers of House Fires
House fires cause many burn injuries and fatalities every year. In the case above, the residents of the home were smart and fortunate that their smoke detector warned them to get out in the middle of the night. The National Fire Protection Association reports that residences account for almost two-thirds of the people who are injured and 72 percent who die because of a fire.
House Fires Caused by Defects
In many cases, a house fire can be caused by a number of reasons, many of them involving defects such as:
- Faulty electrical panels
- Portable heaters
- Light fixtures
- Holiday lights
- Electric and gas stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, water heaters, and microwaves
- Portable appliances such as tabletop ovens, toasters, coffee makers, and others
- Washers and dryers
When a defective product causes a fire that results in burn injuries or other trauma, that individual may be able to place a product liability claim against the designer, parts maker, manufacturer and others. In California, negligence does not have to be proved, only that the product was unaltered and used as designed. Product liability claims can be in the following areas:
- The design of the product was defective, which led to the fire and subsequent injuries.
- A manufacturing defect occurred while the product was being produced that caused an accident injury.
- Lack of proper safety warnings, improper labeling, or poor instructions caused the accident and injuries.
Burn Injuries That Can Occur Due to a Defective Product
Burn injuries are qualified as different degrees to indicate their level of severity. These include:
- 1st-degree burns cause pain and redness and only affect the outer layer of the individual’s skin.
- 2nd-degree burns affect both the outer and inner layers of skin. This type of burn injury can cause the skin to be splotchy, white or red and cause swelling, blisters and severe pain. Scarring can result from this type of burn injury.
- 3rd-degree burns reach the layer of fat underneath the skin. Areas that are burned may be black, white or brown. However, pain may be absent due to the destruction of the nerves.
Related articles by Attorney Ed Smith:
Citrus Heights Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a Citrus Heights personal injury lawyer. Negligence or defective products can start a fire in a home that results in serious injuries. If you suffered a burn injury because of this, you may be able to recover compensation to pay your medical expenses and other losses. For free and friendly advice from our injury lawyers, contact us at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. You can also contact us by messaging us online.
Our injury lawyers are hard workers and do their best to obtain fair compensation for our clients, as you can see by the following links:
Belonging to the groups that follow is an honor for us:
:cd llo