Chain Reaction Accident Reported in Modesto
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto personal injury and car accident lawyer. A chain reaction accident caused congested traffic conditions for more than an hour in Modesto on May 10, 2018. At approximately 12:45 pm, officials received calls of an accident involving multiple vehicles along Highway 99 near the Tuolumne Boulevard exit. Emergency personnel were dispatched to the scene and discovered approximately eight vehicles involved in five separate chain reaction accidents in the area. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the northbound lanes of the highway were closed for nearly an hour as crews helped clear the scene and render aid to those injured.
Chain Reaction Accidents
Traffic accidents involving three or more vehicles in a series of rear-end collisions are often referred to as chain reaction accidents. These accidents are frequently caused by reckless drivers who are speeding, following too closely or texting and driving. The motorist who caused the initial collision is usually held responsible for the entire accident.
What is Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving, as defined in California Vehicle Code Section 23103, involves a motorist operating their vehicle in a reckless or aggressive demeanor and disregard for the safety of others. Individuals convicted of reckless driving can face penalties ranging from a fine of between $145 to $1,000 or even imprisonment in a county jail for five to ninety days. Below are some of the subcategories of reckless driving:
- Conducting illegal lane changes
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Failing to indicate turn signals or yield the right-of-way
- Running a stop sign or red light
- Speeding, which also includes street racing
Injuries from Reckless Driving Accidents
The types of injuries sustained in a reckless driving accident are endless. Following are the common injuries in an accident caused by reckless driving:
- Broken bones, or bone fractures, are considered serious injuries as they often require medical treatment for weeks or even months on end.
- Brain injuries are complex in nature and usually involve a concussive injury or laceration to the scalp. People who have suffered brain damage may manifest symptoms of memory loss, severe headache or loss of consciousness.
- Chronic pain is generally defined as persistent pain lasting more than six months. Some of the types of chronic pain from an accident can range from pain to the back, joints or nerves to headaches and regional pain disorders.
- Dashboard knee frequently occurs during traffic collisions when the knee or lower leg comes into contact with the dashboard or steering column within the vehicle.
- Facial lacerations are tears or cuts in the skin caused by blunt or penetrating trauma. Depending on the severity and depth of the laceration, disfiguring scars may arise.
Modesto Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto personal injury and car accident lawyer. Chain reaction accidents are often caused by reckless drivers and can lead to serious injuries. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident caused by a reckless driver and suffered injuries as a result, I am here to provide you with free, friendly case advice. Please contact me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Our client ratings are listed at:
The Million Dollar Advocates is a forum reserved for attorneys with trial verdicts or client settlements of one million dollars or more in value. I am proudly listed as a California member of this association.
Please feel free to visit my Verdicts and Settlements page to learn about some of my past cases and their results.
Image Courtesy: By “PublicDomainPictures” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 607] cv