Carbon Monoxide Detectors Malfunction

Two Carbon Monoxide Detectors Failed to Alert Consumers 

Federal regulators recently warned about two digital display carbon monoxide detectors that failed to alert the presence of the potentially deadly gas. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said the detectors did not go off when exposed to CO gas levels required by safety standards.

Details of the Malfunctioned CO Detectors

Both carbon monoxide detectors produced by CUZMAK and GLBSUNION are sold on for about $16 to $40. They are round and made of white plastic with a 4-inch diameter, featuring a digital display. The specific models are:

  • Model No. AJ-938
  • Model No. CD01

The carbon monoxide detectors were advertised to alert with a loud alarm pattern and flashing red LED light when carbon monoxide is detected. However, the CPSC said tests performed on the two detectors found the sensors failed to go off when exposed to a high concentration level of CO.

The agency urges retailers not to sell them and consumers not to buy them. They said if you have these detectors in your home, throw them out immediately and replace them with new carbon monoxide detectors.

CPSC Filed Complaint Against Amazon

The CPSC filed a complaint against Amazon in July 2021, demanding that the online retailer recall defective products sold on its website that present a risk of serious injury or death to consumers. The complaint mentioned 24,000 faulty carbon monoxide detectors and other products.

A spokesperson for Amazon said the malfunctioning carbon monoxide detectors had been removed from the website and that it had notified customers and issued refunds. Amazon said safety is a top priority, and all products in its store must comply with applicable laws and regulations. The online retailer said it will continue to monitor the store and remove any defective products.

Consumer Report-Tested CO Detectors

Several carbon monoxide detectors excelled in Consumer Reports tests. Some top-rated detectors in CR’s ratings include battery-powered, plug-in, and hybrid. Consumer Reports recommend the following models.

The CPSC suggests having carbon monoxide detectors outside each bedroom and on each level of your house. The agency also recommends buying CO detectors that meet the safety standard, and be battery-operated, or have battery backup. Consumers are asked to test the detectors weekly and replace them every five years.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you breathe a large amount of carbon monoxide, you can pass out or die. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said over 420 Americans die, and another 100,000 are hospitalized yearly from carbon monoxide poisoning.

You can protect yourself and your family by recognizing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The most common symptoms are:

  • dizziness
  • headache
  • weakness
  • vomiting
  • upset stomach
  • confusion
  • chest pain

Those who are drunk or sleeping can potentially die from the deadly gas before they have symptoms.

Signs of CO in Your Home

Since carbon monoxide has no smell, taste, or color, it is essential to learn how to spot the signs of a potential leak in your home. Learning how to check for a carbon monoxide leak can help you and your family stay safe.

  • Orange or yellow flames coming out of your gas appliances
  • Sooty and a dark stain on or around your gas appliances
  • The pilot lights on your gas appliances frequently go out
  • Fuel fires burn much slower than usual
  • Increased condensation on your windows

Watch the YouTube video to learn more about the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to treat it.

California Personal Injury Lawyer

I’m Ed Smith, a Personal Injury Attorney. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a defective carbon monoxide detector, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your losses. Call our law firm at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.

Since 1982, our California personal injury law firm has represented those impacted by unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning through a catastrophic injury or the loss of a family member.

See our case history of Verdicts and Settlements.

Image by Rigby40 from Pixabay

cha llo [cs 700]

Contact Information