March 2023 is Brain Injury Awareness Month
March 2023 – Brain Injury Awareness Month serves as an opportunity to bring attention to the effects of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and its significant impact on individuals, families, and communities. Observed every March, Brain Injury Awareness Month serves to promote safety tips to help prevent TBIs.
Watch YouTube Video – By: Brain Injury Association of America – Brain Injury Awareness Month (March 2023)
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, occur when the brain sustains an injury from an external force. It may happen when an individual’s head is jolted, bumped, or struck. It may also occur when the body is hit or shaken hard enough to cause the brain to strike the skull or when an object pierces through the skull.
What are the Common Reasons for TBIs?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), traffic-related crashes, slip-and-fall accidents, and assaults are the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. Other reasons include recreational activities or sports, particularly in young individuals. Some activities that may cause TBIs and prompt visits to the emergency department include soccer, basketball, football, and cycling.
National Statistics on Traumatic Brain Injuries
According to 2019 data from the CDC, over 223,000 individuals were hospitalized for concerns of a TBI. In 2020, more than 64,000 fatalities occurred from TBIs. The age group with the highest rates of hospitalizations and deaths from TBIs included those 75 years and older. This group comprised 28 percent of deaths associated with TBI and 32 percent of hospitalizations for TBI.
Safety Tips on How to Prevent TBIs
Preventing a traumatic brain injury starts with incorporating proactive measures into your daily routine. You can practice safety in and out of your home to effectively decrease your risk of a TBI. These include:
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Wherever you are going, be sure to be aware of your surroundings. This includes watching your head from getting bumped, using handrails when going up or down the stairs, and being mindful of where you are going.
- Buckle Up in the Car: Even on short trips, always wear your seatbelt. It is also crucial to ensure that young children are properly secured in car seats suited for their height and weight.
- Fall Prevention: While at home, keep rooms and floors accessible and free of clutter. For the elderly, it is recommended to install handrails on stairs and in bathrooms. To protect young children from slip-and-fall accidents, install gates on stairways.
- Take Precautions on the Job: Ensure that precautions are taken as needed while working. This is especially important while working in construction or other industries where the incidence of head trauma is high.
- Wear a Helmet: Whether riding a scooter, skateboard, motorcycle, or bicycle, it is essential to wear a helmet and use other protective equipment for your head and body.
- Following safety tips, using proper protective headgear, and improving education about proper TBI management may be effective in reducing traumatic brain injuries in sports and other activities.
Can You Seek Compensation for a TBI from a Crash?
If an accident left an individual injured, they may be entitled to financial recovery if the incident was the result of another party or entity’s carelessness or negligence. Based on the facts and circumstances of the matter, an injured party may seek reimbursement for economic and non-economic damages. In a TBI case, an injured individual may be reimbursed for lost earnings, medical bills, pain and suffering, and other related losses.
Since personal injury cases involving TBIs may be complex and challenging to prove, claimants will need the assistance of a skilled California personal injury attorney that has years of experience handling such cases. At our personal injury law firm, we have a track record of successful case results. Our track record of success means we understand the challenges and complexities of a compensation claim for a traumatic brain injury.
How Our Law Firm Helps Clients with TBI Cases
The costs of a TBI from an accident may be staggering and overwhelming. An individual with a mild, moderate, or severe traumatic brain injury may be temporarily or permanently out of work. This may mean less money coming in to help pay for medical treatment and rehabilitation. If a reckless or careless party caused the incident that left them with a TBI, they do not deserve to pay for someone else’s negligence.
Let our California personal injury attorneys tell your story, help an insurer or jury understand what you and your family went through, and how your TBI has impacted your lives. We will use our resources with experts in the field to build the strongest case possible and seek full financial recovery on your behalf. For more information about how our law firm and how we can help with your TBI case, watch this video.
Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer in California
The legal team from AutoAccident.com understands what clients are dealing with after suffering a traumatic brain injury or other types of head trauma in an accident. We will stop at nothing to obtain the best possible outcome. Our California injury attorneys conduct thorough investigations to build strong cases to secure the results our clients need and deserve through verdicts and settlements.
To find out how our law firm can help you with your TBI case, give us a call to schedule a free consultation at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. Our California traumatic brain injury lawyers are available anytime to listen to your story, review your case, and provide free, friendly advice. We operate on contingency which means that you owe us nothing unless we secure a favorable resolution in your case.
Before calling for a free case evaluation, learn more about our law office and how we have helped former clients with their claims on Yelp, Avvo, and Google. We are dedicated to providing our clients with excellent service and successful case resolutions. In recognition of our qualities and commitment to client success, we were invited to join the California chapters of the Top 1 Percent and Million Dollar Forum.
Photograph Source: Pexels User “AnnaShvets”
:ds llo [cs 1035]