Brachial Plexus Injury with a Femur Fracture
I’m Ed Smith, a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Sacramento. Everyone who rides a motorcycle understands the risks that go along with it. Because of the lack of protection between the rider and the road, numerous injuries could occur in a motorcycle accident. Some of the safety precautions that motorcyclists should take include:
- Wearing a helmet to protect against the risk of a traumatic brain injury.
- Making sure to wear long clothes to protect against road rash.
- Not riding a motorcycle in adverse weather conditions, such as snowstorms.
If someone fails to take the proper safety precautions, there are a variety of serious injuries that someone can sustain. Statistics regarding injuries related to motorcycle accidents in the year 2015 include:
- Close to 5,000 people were killed in a motorcycle accident.
- About 90,000 people were injured in a motorcycle accident.
- Motorcycle accident deaths increased by 8% when compared to the prior year.
- California alone suffered over 450 motorcyclist deaths in 2015.
- Even though motorcyclists only make up about 3% of all drivers, they accounted for close to 15% of all traffic deaths.
These statistics help demonstrate just how dangerous motorcycle accidents can be. One of the injuries that are often overlooked is a brachial plexus injury. This represents severe damage to a bundle of nerves that could have lifelong consequences.
A Case Report: Brachial Plexus Injury with a Femur Fracture
A team of medical professionals published a case report that described a young man who suffered multiple injuries in a motorcycle accident. To avoid the changing traffic conditions in front of him, he was forced to lay down his motorcycle on the roadway. Unfortunately, his clothing got caught in the road, twisting his body traumatically and he sustained a femur fracture. His upper arm was also caught on the pavement. This led to traction on his arm which tore the brachial plexus. It damaged many nerves that are required to power the motor and sensory function of his upper arm. He ended up losing the use of that arm, which led to significant quality of life issues.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Sacramento. Sustaining multiple injuries such as a brachial plexus or fractured femur in a motorcycle accident can create a stressful situation. If you or a family member has been injured in a motorcycle crash, please reach out to me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. I would be happy to share friendly, free legal advice.
I am proud to be a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Feel free to take a look at our verdicts or settlements here.
Image Attribution: The motorcycle picture at the top of this page was noticed originally on Unsplash. Reproduction has happened here with permission.
:dr cha [cs 507] cv