Auto Accident Femur Injuries
Auto Accident Femur Injuries – While cars are an essential mode of transportation and can help people get from place to place, there are also severe injuries that can result from an auto accident. Because a car accident can happen at any time, it is important for everyone to be prepared. Some of the statistics that have been released by the Association for Safe International Road Travel(ASIRT) include:
- Close to 8,000 of the people killed every year in auto accidents in the United States are young drivers between the ages of 16 and 20 years old.
- Car accidents are the most common cause of death for United States citizens while traveling overseas.
- Road crashes cost the United States an average of more than $230 billion annually.
Based on these numbers, it is clear that something must be done about car accidents. A good starting place is to discuss the serious injuries that can result from an auto accident. One example is a traumatic injury of the femur.
Mechanism of Injury: Femur Fracture
The femur is the thick, strong bone that makes up the thigh. Because of this, a tremendous amount of force is required to cause a femur fracture. There are many mechanisms through which someone could sustain this injury. Some of the most common include:
- A direct injury in an auto accident where a leg is pinned between the door and the seat.
- A fall from a great height.
- A pedestrian injury in an auto accident.
- Forceful trauma in a rear-end collision, where a leg is rolled up with the front of a car.
These mechanisms have enough force to snap one of the largest bones in the body, leading to significant pain and the inability to walk. Unfortunately, breaking a femur can also lead to significant complications.
An Overview: Serious Complications of an Auto Accident Femur Injury
A break in a femur can lead to some severe complications that everyone needs to know. These include:
- When a bone is broken, the exposed marrow can shower the blood vessels with its contents which could lead to dangerous blood clots in the heart, lungs, and brain.
- Snapping a femur can also damage some of the nerves that run through the leg, leading to motor and sensory complications.
- If the bone isn’t put back together properly, this could lead to malunion.
- The development of thigh compartment syndrome, which could lead to paralysis of the leg.
Because of these complications, it is crucial to diagnose every femur fracture quickly so that it can be treated before these issues arise.
Watch YouTube Video: Femur Fracture and Types of Femur Bone Fracture. This video demonstrates the different ways femur fractures can occur.
Assistance from a Lawyer
When people are involved in a severe auto accident, some of these injuries can place them in a hospital. This can lead to a substantial amount of missed time from work or school, putting everyone in the family under stress. During these tough times, it is critical to meet with a car accident lawyer in Sacramento. Meeting with an experienced lawyer can help you review all of the options that are available. Then, a decision can be made that acts in your best interests. Don’t delay because you and your loved ones could be entitled to financial compensation.
Sacramento Auto Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Auto Accident Lawyer. Car accidents can lead to significant femur fractures. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a car accident, call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice.
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
To see a list of our past cases, go to our verdicts or settlements here.
Photo Citation: The photo at the start of this article is seen in its original form on Unsplash. The image has been reproduced here with permission/ Auto Accident Femur Injuries
:dr cha [cs 688] cv