Pedestrian Fatality Accident Occurs on Marconi Avenue
A pedestrian fatality accident happened on August 15 after a collision involving a motor vehicle in Arden-Arcade. The crash occurred along Marconi Avenue between Watt and Eastern avenues at about 9:40 p.m. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) did not release the age or gender of the pedestrian who was killed.
Driver Remained at Scene of Pedestrian Fatality Accident
The driver remained at the scene of the pedestrian accident and did not appear to be under the influence when the collision happened. The CHP is investigating to determine how the collision occurred. No information was released on whether the driver was detained.
Pedestrian Accidents After Dark
Pedestrians who are out and about after dark are at particular risk of being injured or killed in a traffic collision, especially in areas where lighting isn’t very good. Even if a pedestrian isn’t using a crosswalk, motorists still have the duty to avoid hitting them if possible. The problem is if traffic is heavy, the driver might not be able to. Types of problems that can lead to a pedestrian fatality accident include:
- Speeding: A speeding driver needs a longer distance to stop in the event of an emergency, and when a pedestrian is in their path, they simply may not be able to avoid striking someone on foot.
- Fatigue: A fatigued driver is as dangerous as someone who is inebriated. Their reflexes are affected, and they are not as alert as they should be, which can lead to a collision with a pedestrian.
- Drunk driving: Drunk drivers have slowed reflexes as well as problems tracking with their eyes and their judgment is affected by alcohol. Drunk drivers are a leading cause of serious accidents of all types.
- Disregarding traffic laws: Drivers who cut in and out of traffic, race, tailgate, run red lights and exhibit other disregard for the safety of others can cause a pedestrian fatality.
- Roadway conditions: When lighting isn’t sufficient to make spotting a pedestrian in the roadway easy, overgrown trees or shrubs obscure vision and crossing lights at crosswalks are mistimed, it can lead to a pedestrian accident. Although the government entity charged with maintaining the roadway can be held liable, the statute of limitations expires in only six months. Because it is so short, having a lawyer handle your claim can be a good idea and help the family recover maximum compensation.
How Does an Attorney Help the Family Recover Compensation?
An accident attorney can determine the cause of a pedestrian’s death in an accident, which enables the family to recover compensation by filing a wrongful death claim. This is because evidence has to prove that negligence by another person or entity was the cause of the untimely death. Either immediate family members (the spouse and children) can join together in placing a claim or the administrator of the estate can. If your family would like more information, call our office at your convenience.
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a wrongful death attorney in Sacramento. A grieving family may want to think about filing a wrongful death claim for the loss of their loved one if negligence by another person or entity was the cause. You are welcome to phone us at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice. In addition, you can reach us online. If you are calling from long-distance, we can be reached toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Find out how our injury lawyers obtained compensation for others and look over a few of our cases below:
The groups that follow are among those we are most proud to belong to:
:cd llo