Accident Injures Four Near Woodward Reservoir
Accident Injures Four Near Woodward Reservoir. A head-on collision near Woodward Reservoir Regional Park left four people injured on September 2, 2018. The accident occurred shortly before 1:00 p.m. along South Drive just east of the park entrance. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), one vehicle was traveling eastbound while the other was westbound and both collided head-on. Three parties were transported by ground ambulance, and one other was flown from the scene by medical helicopter to local hospitals for treatment. An update on the conditions of those injured has not yet been released by officials.
The area was shut down for a short time while officials investigated the scene and crews cleared the roadway of hazardous debris. So far, an exact cause of the collision has not yet been determined by CHP. However, driver distraction is suspected as a factor in the accident.
Head-on collisions are considered the most dangerous type of accident. When motor vehicles are traveling at high speeds, there is a significant chance of serious injury or fatality. This is due to the high probability that drivers and passengers have in striking the windshield, steering wheel, dashboard, or other components of the vehicle in these collisions.
Injuries in Head-On Collisions
The severity of injuries suffered in head-on collisions is amplified by the speed traveled by the opposing vehicles. Injuries commonly seen in these accidents include:
- Chest Damage: In some accidents, the chest is propelled into the steering wheel with significant force. Sitting too close to the steering column or dashboard without a seatbelt can result in severe trauma to the chest from the rapid deployment of the airbag.
- Cuts and Lacerations: Since crushed metal and damaged front windshields are common in head-on collisions, it can lead to severe cuts and lacerations that may require immediate medical treatment.
- Lower Extremity Injuries: The force of a frontal impact crash often causes the lower extremities to absorb a majority of the force. This can result in bone fractures and crush injuries to the feet and legs.
- Neck Injuries: These are common in frontal impact accidents, according to a report by the National Institutes of Health. Ligaments in the neck may be stretched or even torn in a collision. This may cause pain or difficulty with movement, changes in sleeping patterns or nausea.
- Spinal Cord Trauma: Damage to the spinal column is a frequent complication of a car accident. This may sometimes involve disc herniation or lead to paralysis if the spinal nerve is damaged.
Dangers of Head-On Collisions
While head-on collisions account for an average of 2 percent of all motor vehicle accidents, the fatality rate is much higher at roughly 18 percent. These accidents are more prevalent in rural areas, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Common causes of such accidents include speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, distracted driving, and loss of vehicle control.
Modesto Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto car accident lawyer. Any type of car accident has the potential to cause serious injuries to those involved. When an individual suffers injuries in a crash caused by another driver’s negligence, an experienced attorney can assist in recovering damages for medical bills, time lost from work, and other expenses incurred. If this situation applies to you or a loved one, please feel free to reach out to me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly legal advice.
Please take a brief moment to browse ratings and comments by my former clients and peers at:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates as a member of the California chapter. We are a national group of top trial attorneys who have obtained a settlement or verdict for a client in excess of $1 million.
View a list of my past cases and their outcomes on my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Accident Injures Four Near Woodward Reservoir: AutoAccident.com
Image: ab / Accident Injures Four Near Woodward Reservoir
:ds [cs 689] cv