Accident Fatally Injures Motorcyclist Near Merced County
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. A young rider passed away after a motorcycle accident just south of the Merced River on May 27, 2018. The accident took place during the early morning hours along Highway 165 in the vicinity of Westside Boulevard in Stevinson. A man was riding on his 2004 Yamaha motorcycle northbound at an unknown rate of speed when he approached a curve in the road and veered off onto the west shoulder of the highway. The rider was allegedly ejected from the bike and was, unfortunately, pronounced deceased at the scene by emergency personnel. Officials have identified the victim as 20-year-old David Barajas Hernandez of San Jose.
I would like to extend my thoughts and prayers to those mourning the loss of their loved one during this challenging time.
A motorcycle can be difficult to handle, particularly for those learning how to ride for the first time. Exercising some of the safety tips listed below can reduce the chances of being involved in a motorcycle accident:
- Adopting a buddy system with a colleague or friend is important when learning how to ride a motorcycle. By doing so, you can learn from others’ experiences and avoid mistakes they have made while riding in the past.
- If you are new to the bike scene, start riding on a short route and get some training prior to traveling on the highway.
- Learning how to ride defensively can protect yourself from negligent motorists.
- Remain vigilant of your surroundings. Be sure to look out for falling debris as you are proceeding through construction zones.
- Taking a motorcycle safety course is a worthwhile investment as it expands your knowledge of safe riding.
- Whenever hitting the roads on your bike, be sure to wear proper safety equipment. Using a standard issue helmet can reduce your chances of suffering head trauma in the event of a traffic accident or sudden fall.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders are susceptible to suffering serious injuries or even death on the road due to their lack of physical protection. Motorcycle accidents lead to billions of dollars spent each year in damages such as property damage, emergency services, medical expenses and lost income. Below are statistics surrounding these types of crashes:
- Alcohol consumption is a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. Riders were found less likely to use their helmets when impaired by alcohol (according to the Insurance Information Institute).
- Based on 2014 accident data, motorcyclist fatalities transpired twenty-seven times more frequently than deaths in other motor vehicles (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
- Helmet use reduced the risk of fatality by thirty-seven percent (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
- In 2016, 4,976 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).
How a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Motorcycle accidents can occur due to a wide array of factors outside a rider’s control. Causes such as faulty bike equipment or design, defects in the road like potholes or inadequate signage and hit and run drivers may contribute to having a motorcycle accident. Determining these causes require the expertise that a motorcycle accident lawyer in Merced can provide. A skilled attorney can investigate further into the matter by using crash reconstruction experts to recreate the collision to properly determine liability. In this way, a strong case for compensation can be built on behalf of an injured or late loved one.
Merced Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. Motorcycle crashes with passenger vehicles often cause serious injuries leading to high medical expenses and loss of income. If this has happened to you or a loved one, an injury lawyer with years of experience can help. Contact me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive free and friendly legal advice.
Feel free to check out our client ratings at:
I am honored to be a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a nationwide forum comprised of injury lawyers who have won million dollar awards in case settlements and trial verdicts for clients.
Some of our prior cases and their results are available on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Courtesy: By “SplitShire” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 729] cv