Exit Ramp Accident Claims Life of Elderly Driver
An accident fatality happened in North Highlands on February 18 following a single-vehicle crash. The man was in a Chevrolet Silverado pickup heading west on I-80 and entered the exit ramp for Longview at around 8:40 a.m. when his vehicle collided with a guardrail and signpost that was overhead, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The deceased man was identified by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office as Ellsworth Rudy, a resident of Rio Linda, age 82.
Authorities Investigating Cause of Accident Fatality
Investigators with the CHP into the cause of the fatal accident think the driver lost control; however, they do not yet know why. He was pronounced deceased at the scene. The CHP is requesting that anyone with additional information or who saw the fatal accident to phone Officer A.J. McTaggert. Officer Taggert is with the North Sacramento CHP Office and can be reached at (916) 798-0975 or (916) 348-2300.
How an Injury Lawyer Can Help
Losing a loved one is a tragic experience that leaves the family not only grieving but wondering what went wrong. An injury attorney can investigate an accident fatality to determine the cause. If the accident was caused by an outside influence such as another driver or other form of negligence, the family may be able to place a wrongful death claim for damages. Although it will not lessen a family’s grief, it can provide the funds for burial and funeral expenses, which are quite high these days, and recover damages for the following:
- Loss of consortium and companionship
- Lost wages, pension and insurance benefits, and others
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of household services
- If there are children in the household, the loss of support, parental guidance, and others
There are a number of reasons a ramp accident can happen. Although a high number of accidents on highway ramps involve an at-fault driver, not all do. Some reasons for an accident fatality at a highway ramp are:
- Being struck or crowded by another motorist: Ramps usually have a slower speed limit than on the highway. Speeders, those who enter the ramp in the wrong lane, and those who crowd other drivers can end up causing an accident fatality.
- Poor ramp design: A ramp that has curves that are too sharp or inadequate retaining walls on the sides can cause
fatal traffic accidents. Too sharp a curve can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle. Inadequate retaining walls can cause a motorist’s vehicle to fly off the ramp if they strike the side. In a fatality accident where poor design was at fault, the family may claim compensation from the government entity in charge.
- Mechanical failure: An auto defect such as brakes that fail, a blown tire, and sudden inability to steer can lead to an accident fatality. The manufacturer, part designer, and others in the chain may be held liable through a product liability lawsuit.
- Wrong-way driver: A driver who enters a ramp going in the wrong direction can cause an accident fatality. Often, it is discovered by authorities that the driver was intoxicated. However, poor signage and other factors can also cause this type of collision.
North Highlands Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a North Highlands wrongful death lawyer. The causes of single-vehicle crashes can be deceiving. If your loved one died because of negligence, the family might be able to place a claim for compensation. Phone for my free, friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. I can also be reached online.
Find out more about my law office below:
I’m honored to be a member of:
Since 1982, my legal team and I have helped numerous residents of North Highlands in obtaining the compensation they deserve in wrongful deaths, all kinds of traffic collisions, and traumatic injuries
Attributed Photo: https://pixabay.com/photos/candle-light-candlelight-flame-2038736/
:cd llo ds [cs 680]