Pedestrian Accident Injures Child Near Atwater
Pedestrian Accident Injures Child Near Atwater — A child was airlifted to a hospital after being hit by an oncoming vehicle in Atwater on October 18, 2018. The pedestrian accident occurred shortly before 3:00 in the afternoon along First Street in the vicinity of Kadota Avenue. A 12-year-old boy was crossing First Street behind a northbound vehicle when the driver of a southbound car did not see the boy until the last second. This motorist tried to veer their car to avoid a collision. However, their attempt was unsuccessful as the car struck the boy. Medical personnel responding to the scene transported the boy via air ambulance to the Valley Children’s Hospital in Madera for treatment of unspecified injuries. Officials have not yet released an update regarding the boy’s condition.
Children and Pedestrian Accidents
Children are more likely to be involved in pedestrian accidents since they are small and have not yet developed the necessary skills for crossing a street safely. Following are the statistics surrounding pedestrian accidents among children:
- Roughly 40,000 children in the United States suffered non-fatal injuries as pedestrians in 2014 (according to Safe Kids Worldwide)
- In 2015, one-fifth of adolescents under the age of 15 who were fatally injured in motor vehicle collisions were pedestrians (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- The estimated cost of traumatic pedestrian injuries among kids ages 14 and younger is over $5 billion annually (according to PedBikeInfo.org)
Pedestrian Safety Tips for Children
Most adults know the rules of the road when it comes to walking safely. However, children also have to be taught how to be a safe pedestrian. Since young children may be impulsive, have limited attention spans, and not fully understand the danger of traffic, they may not grasp the importance of pedestrian safety. It is essential to teach road safety to your child to keep him or her out of harm’s way when walking near and on the road. These safety tips include:
- Avoid the use of handheld devices and earphones to maximize your perception of the road
- Be aware and alert of your surroundings at all times
- Cross at designated crosswalks, whenever available
- Do not play in parking lots, driveways, and streets
- Keep an eye for turning or reversing vehicles
- Look both ways for traffic to ensure that it is safe to cross a street, alley, or driveway
- Never dart between overgrown shrubs or between motor vehicles parked at the curb
- Obey all traffic signals and signs, including “Walk” and “Don’t Walk” signs
Exercising Safety in School Areas
Drivers are responsible for exercising due care when traveling along streets located anywhere near schools, especially at times student foot traffic is heavy. In these areas, the motorist is expected to reduce their speed and watch carefully for pedestrians. When a driver fails to do so, they can be held liable for damages incurred. Contact an experienced attorney for more details.
Atwater Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Atwater personal injury lawyer. Drivers are often at fault in an accident with a pedestrian, leaving the walker with injuries that cause mounting medical expenses, pain and suffering, and time away from work. When this happens, a pedestrian can turn to an experienced attorney to help reclaim those expenses. If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident due to a negligent driver, you may contact me anytime for free, friendly legal advice at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
You can look over reviews and comments by my former clients on the following pages:
The Million Dollar Advocates is a forum of trial attorneys who have each won $1 million or more for a client in a case verdict or settlement. I am pleased to be listed as a California member of this forum.
Visit our Verdicts and Settlements page to learn how I resolved prior cases for my clients.
Pedestrian Accident Injures Child Near Atwater: AutoAccident.com
Image :ab / Pedestrian Accident Injures Child Near Atwater
:ds llo [cs 683] cv