Oakdale Man Killed in Keyes Single Vehicle Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto car accident attorney. A man passed away in a single vehicle accident west of Keyes on July 4, 2018. The man was driving a 1998 Pontiac northbound along Central Avenue in the vicinity of East Taylor Road at approximately 11:34 p.m. For unknown reasons, his vehicle veered off the roadway and collided with a utility pole. The impact of the collision caused the vehicle to continue for a short time before it overturned in a cornfield. The driver was reportedly ejected from the vehicle in the accident and, unfortunately, suffered fatal injuries at the scene. The victim has been identified by officials as 26-year-old Charles Gilstrap of Oakdale.
I would like to offer my heartfelt thoughts and prayers to those affected by the loss of their loved one.
The cause of the accident has not yet been decided by local authorities due to an ongoing investigation. Officials are unsure whether alcohol or drugs were contributing factors in the collision.
Single Vehicle Accidents
Single vehicle accidents can be caused by a number of reasons from driver error to factors outside of the driver’s control. They may involve:
- Aggressive Driving: Single vehicle accidents are sometimes caused by the actions of a negligent or aggressive driver. When these drivers attempt to overtake another vehicle in an unsafe manner or too closely, it can force the other car off the road and cause an accident. If the aggressive driver’s vehicle did not make physical contact with the victim’s car, it would be considered as a phantom vehicle accident;
- Distracted Driving: Talking or texting on a cell phone can divert a driver’s attention from the road, further increasing their chances of an accident;
- Drunk Driving: A driver who is under the influence of alcohol has less ability to think and react quickly in case of an emergency. Drunk drivers may even fall asleep behind the wheel due to their level of intoxication;
- Medical Causes: Heart attacks, diabetes, and other health conditions can cause a motorist to suffer a condition or lose consciousness that can contribute to a collision;
- Inclement Conditions: Ice, snow, sleet, and rain can all affect a vehicle’s traction on the road which can lead to a crash;
- Road Conditions: Government entities like the state, county or city are responsible for maintaining roadways. Dangerous road conditions like cracks in the pavement, debris, potholes and other hazards can cause a vehicle to lose control and crash. In these types of cases, a claim can be brought against a government entity within six months or 180 days from the date of the accident to recover damages;
- Speeding: Driving over the posted speed limit or too fast for weather or road condition frequently cause single vehicle accidents.
How a Wrongful Death Attorney Can Help
Single vehicle accidents resulting in the death of a loved one are truly devastating, especially when that individual’s emotional and financial support for his or her family is suddenly withdrawn. If this has happened in your family and you believe the accident was the result of another party’s negligence, it is important to contact an experienced wrongful death attorney in Modesto. A skilled lawyer can investigate further by examining the facts and evidence of the accident to determine whether a claim for wrongful death can be filed.
Modesto Car Accident & Wrongful Death Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto car accident attorney. Single vehicle accidents can occur for various reasons and result in life-changing consequences for both the victim and their family. If a single vehicle accident has caused severe harm to you or your loved one, you need the experience of a skilled attorney. Contact me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive free, friendly legal advice on your situation.
See what our past clients have said about us on:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates.
For a list of our prior cases and their outcomes, go to our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Source: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons
:ds [cs 701] cv