Motorcycle Accident Fatally Injures Oakdale Man
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death lawyer. On August 20, 2018, a motorcycle accident claimed the life of an Oakdale man and caused minor injuries to two other parties. At approximately 6:30 in the evening, a man was riding his motorcycle northwest along Rodden Road in the vicinity of Gray Fox Court in Oakdale when he approached a sharp curve in the roadway. The motorcyclist reportedly lost control of his bike and slid into the eastbound lane of the road in the direct path of a 2006 Toyota. The driver of the Toyota was unable to react in time to avoid a collision with the biker, resulting in a serious motorcycle accident. Emergency personnel responding to the scene extricated the biker from underneath the Toyota and transported him to an area hospital for treatment. The two occupants of the Toyota reported minor injuries; however, it is unknown whether they were hospitalized following the accident. Unfortunately, the rider succumbed to his injuries during hospital care. Officials have identified the victim as 22-year-old Troy Holder of Oakdale.
We are saddened to hear the news of this tragic accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of Mr. Holder during this difficult time.
Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Road Defects
Motorcycle accidents are often caused by hazards or defects in the road. When a road defect causes a motorcyclist to suffer traumatic injuries, a claim may be filed against the government entity responsible for designing and maintaining that road for resultant damages. Some examples of road defects that are attributable to motorcycle accidents include:
- Debris or gravel on the road causing a motorcycle to skid
- Inadequate lighting for motorcyclists riding at night
- Insufficient guardrails
- Lack of warning signage for upcoming construction hazards or zones and sharp turns
- Large potholes, cracks, or other road hazards that can cause a motorcycle to overturn
- Warning signs, stop signs or traffic signals obstructed by overgrown vegetation
Wrongful Death Claims
A wrongful death in California is considered the loss of a loved one due to negligent acts of another party or entity. When a family loses a loved one in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else, that family must file a wrongful death claim within two years from the date of their loved one’s death to claim repayment. If the death occurred as a result of government negligence, a claim must be filed within six months or 180 days from the date of loss. It is essential to retain an experienced wrongful death attorney in these types of claims to protect your rights and secure fair compensation for your losses.
Watch YouTube Video: What is a Wrongful Death Claim? This video explains what a wrongful death claim is and what type of compensation may be recovered by immediate family members of the victim.
Recoverable Damages in Wrongful Death Claims
Following are some of the damages for wrongful death that may be available for surviving family members and dependents:
- Medical Bills: Any end-of-life medical treatment expenses incurred before the victim’s passing may be recovered in a survival action.
- Funeral Expenses: These include the costs of the funeral, burial, or memorial services of the decedent.
- Future Financial Support: Loss of future wages the deceased would have earned in the remainder of his or her working years.
- Household Services: The everyday tasks the decedent performed in his or her household such as lawn maintenance, cleaning, cooking, childcare, and more. These services are assigned an economic value which may be considered for repayment.
- Loss of Consortium: A spouse may recover for the loss of affection, love, and companionship resulting from the death of their loved one.
Modesto Wrongful Death Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto wrongful death lawyer. Surviving family members are often left with emotional and financial hardships following the wrongful death of a loved one. If this has happened in your family, my heart goes out to you and your family. I am available to speak with you anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice.
Please check out our client comments on the following pages to learn more about our law office:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Forum, a national group of trial lawyers who have won $1 million awards for their clients in case verdicts and settlements.
Visit my Verdicts and Settlements page to view information on some of my past cases and their resolutions.
Image Source: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 772] cha cv