Ice Truck Overturns on Sacramento Ramp Between I-5 and I-80
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento truck accident lawyer. A rollover of an ice truck on the ramp that connects Interstate 5 to Interstate 80 eastbound closed the area down during the early morning hours on May 21. A representative of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the vehicle had been moving too quickly and that may have contributed to the accident.
Ice Truck Crash Details
The incident occurred before 6:00 in the morning when the big rig failed to negotiate the ramp and tipped onto its side. The trailer was transporting seven tons of ice. Although the driver and accompanying passenger said they both suffered pain from the accident, neither were taken to a hospital for treatment. A tow truck arrived about an hour later to remove the big truck from the ramp, and it was reopened shortly after 8:00 in the morning.
Truck Collision Statistics
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were 4,400 fatalities caused by collisions with big trucks and buses in 2016. Although the number of injuries had been decreasing, after 2009, the number had increased by 62 percent in 2015 to 97,000 individuals. The number of those injured in collisions with big trucks and buses increased again in 2016 to 119,000.
Reasons for Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can be caused for some of the same reasons as a motor vehicle crash. However, because of the up to 80-feet length of a big truck and the height and weight, a smaller vehicle doesn’t stand much chance in a collision. Some of the reasons for truck collisions are as follows:
- Jackknifing happens when the trailer of a truck is moving at a higher speed than the front end and swings around, sometimes into traffic. Jackknifing is usually caused by speeding, weather conditions or a poorly trained driver.
- Rollovers are caused when a truck takes a curve at too fast a speed or has an improperly balanced load, which causes it to tip over. It can also occur if the driver loses control of his/her vehicle.
- Underride accidents can happen if a truck stops suddenly and the vehicle behind is too close. This causes the second vehicle to slide underneath the truck, crushing the roof. Fatalities are common in this type of truck accident.
- Turning wide is a maneuver performed by some truck drivers when the lane is too narrow for the big rig to make a turn. The truck can collide with vehicles next to it, forcing them to the curb and causing a broadside collision.
- Lost loads happen when a big rig is carrying materials that have not been properly secured. This causes the load to spill out onto the roadway, creating a hazard for traffic and potentially landing on another vehicle.
- Blind spots occur all the way around a big rig, making it difficult for the driver to see and can result in accidents with serious injuries. The blind spots are particularly large on the right side of a truck. If the driver doesn’t realize a vehicle is driving on its left or right side, changing lanes can cause a collision.
Legal Help When You’ve Been in a Truck Accident
Trucks, due to their size and weight, can cause serious injury and, in some cases, death. If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident or a member of your family has died, you need the assistance an experienced lawyer can provide. In some cases, proving fault can be complicated. A good truck accident attorney will use forensic experts to determine the true cause of the accident. In addition, a lawyer will make sure you receive the compensation you deserve for medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
Call a Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyer Today
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento truck accident lawyer. Being injured in a collision with a big rig can result in large medical bills, lost time from work and other unexpected expenses. If you or someone close to you has been injured by a truck driver who was negligent, I would be honored to give you my friendly advice free of cost. Just contact me at (916) 921-6400 in Sacramento. Outside the area, call (800) 404-5400.
I take cases on a contingency fee. This means you pay nothing up front. I get paid only if you have a successful settlement or verdict. So why not call today?
For 36 years, I’ve assisted Sacramento and Northern California residents in obtaining compensation in numerous areas of personal injury from wrongful death to traumatic brain injuries.
Look at what prior clients have had to say about their experience with our law office:
I belong to Million Dollar Advocates.
You are invited to check the list of some of our Verdicts and Settlements to see how my law firm has helped others.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/accident-truck-6-axel-22-wheel-2351540/
:cd bw [cs 836 *fb] cv