Car Crashes Into Dollar Tree in Sacramento on Stockton Blvd.
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Multiple injuries were reported on July 12 when a vehicle crashed into a Dollar Tree along Stockton Boulevard in South Sacramento. None of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening, although three of those who were injured were transported to a local hospital for treatment. The driver of the vehicle, described as an older woman by a representative of the California Highway Patrol (CHP), is believed to have accidentally pressed on the accelerator of her car, causing the collision.
The accident happened at about 2:45 in the afternoon near Stockton Boulevard’s intersection with 65th Street. The vehicle shattered the glass in the front window of the store and ended up partly inside the building. According to the Sacramento Fire Department, the three persons who suffered injuries were hospitalized. One of the injured was a child, age 10. It is unknown at this time whether the woman driving the vehicle suffered any injuries from the crash. An investigation into the cause of the collision is being conducted by the CHP, according to a spokesperson for the fire department.
Watch YouTube Video – Car Crashes into Dollar Tree Store ~ Watch video below to learn about the victims involved in this serious Sacramento auto accident.
The incidence of Storefront Crashes
According to the Storefront Safety Council, collisions with stores, schools and private residences are surprisingly common. Researchers report that there are more than 60 incidences of vehicles crashing into buildings every day. This equates to more than 3,600 serious injuries and almost 500 fatalities each year. The researchers suggest that sturdy barriers, large planters and even garbage cans made of concrete placed in front of a building could help reduce the number of accidents. Research performed by the SSC shows that the following types of structures have been involved in collisions where a driver struck the building:
- Retail establishments represented building collisions 24 percent of the time.
- Commercial buildings were crashed into in 23 percent of the collisions.
- Restaurants were the locations for 19 percent of crashes into buildings.
- Convenience stores represented 7 percent of the crashes.
- Offices were damaged in 7 percent of the accidents.
- The remaining 20 percent of collisions with buildings were in other categories.
California Ranks Second in Storefront Collisions
Florida ranks well ahead of California in the number of storefront crashes at 18 percent. This is despite the fact that California has hundreds of thousands more people who are licensed drivers. Still, California ranked second among the states in the nation with 10 percent of storefront crashes. New York and Texas followed with 8 percent each of this type of collision.
Reasons for Storefront Collisions
There are multiple reasons why a driver rams into a building. However, just as in other varieties of traffic collisions, driver error is the main reason.
- Driver error is the number one reason for storefront collisions 30 percent of the time, which can include distracted driving or other causes.
- Pedal misapplication, which accounts for 26 percent of the collisions, happens when the operator applies the accelerator instead of the brake or puts the gear into drive, thinking it is in reverse.
- Drunk driving accounts for the third most common reason for storefront crashes at 19 percent.
- Eleven percent of the accidents of this type are caused by traffic collisions.
- Eight percent of these accidents are caused by a medical condition such as diabetes.
- Ram raiding is responsible for 7 percent. This type of accident is where the driver intentionally rams into a building to rob it.
Sacramento Auto Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. If you or a family member was injured in a storefront crash, you might be entitled to obtain compensation to pay your medical bills and other expenses. I am honored to offer you my free and friendly advice when you call me at (916) 921-6400 in the Sacramento area, or dial (800) 404-5400 if you are phoning long-distance.
During my 36-year career as a personal injury lawyer, I’ve assisted residents throughout Sacramento and surrounding Northern California communities to get fair compensation for all types of car accidents as well as wrongful deaths.
I belong to Million Dollar Forum as a California member. This group is open to trial attorneys around America who have obtained an amount in excess of one million dollars for a client.
Please visit the following sites to look over our past cases and comments about our legal representation by previous clients:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/tree-in-front-of-establishment-210557/
:cd bw [cs 789] fb