Speeding Semi Causes Accident on SR 99
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. A crash involving a semi and a motor vehicle was reported in the afternoon recently along California State Route 99, which blocked two lanes of traffic. Officers with California Highway Patrol (CHP) were on hand to investigate the cause of the accident. The road was blocked for a short time while tow trucks arrived to clear the lanes.
The crash occurred around 1:17 p.m. along the northbound side of SR 99 near the 12th Avenue exit ramp close to where the highway turns into Sutterville Road in South Sacramento. The collision involved a Nissan Altima and the semi. A representative with the CHP said it was reported that the semi was traveling too fast for the conditions at the time. The first and second lanes were blocked by the accident, which was cleared around 1:30 p.m.
Causes of Truck Accidents
A collision with a truck often causes serious injuries due to the much larger size and heavy weight of the vehicle as compared with an auto. When a big rig driver is involved in a crash, it is often attributed to one of the following, which represent major causes of truck accidents:
- Driving too fast for the weather or traffic conditions
- Tailgating or following more closely than is prudent
- Overloading the truck or improperly securing the load
- Drowsy driving
- Inadequate training
- Poor maintenance of the vehicle
- Inadequate inspection before taking to the road
- Distracted driving
Dangers Associated With Big Rigs
Although any collision between two vehicles can be serious, a truck accident can be worse because of the size, weight and length of the vehicle. Accidents of this type include:
- Jackknifing: Using the wrong brakes on a big rig, stopping too quickly or weather conditions can contribute to a jackknifing accident. This is when the trailer is moving more quickly than the tractor pulling it, which causes the back of the semi to swing around.
- Wide turns: On sharper curves, a big rig may have to swing partially into the adjacent lane in order to make the turn. This can cause a big truck to sideswipe another vehicle.
- Underride accidents: Since a big rig sits high off the ground, if it stops suddenly or the vehicle behind is driving too closely, a car can pass underneath the truck. This is one of the most serious types of accidents and often results in fatalities.
- Blind spots: Big rigs all have blind spots all the way around the vehicle. Because other motorists may not realize this, they get too close and may be struck by the truck because the driver does not know a car is in his/her blind spot.
- Improper loads or driving: There are multiple problems that can occur when a big rig is hauling a poorly loaded trailer or carrying a partial load. The load can become unbalanced, causing a rollover. The load can also spill on the roadway, creating a traffic hazard.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. When a truck collides with a motor vehicle, it can cause severe injuries with resulting lost time from work, medical bills and additional expenses. If you or someone you care about has been injured, please call me at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400 for friendly advice, free of charge.
Over my 36 years as an injury lawyer in Sacramento, I’ve helped numerous residents around Northern California with their cases, including wrongful death.
I’m a California member at Million Dollar Forum, a site for those trial lawyers with $1 million settlements or verdicts for former clients.
I invite you to visit Verdicts and Settlements at my website to look over some of our earlier cases and how they were resolved.
It’s important to find out as much as you can about a personal injury lawyer before you decide who to phone about your case. You can find reviews of my law firm at the following links:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/accident-russia-road-machinery-2746663/
:cd ds [cs 704] cv