Hit and Run Fatally Injures Pedestrian Near Merced
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced car accident lawyer. A man passed away after being struck by multiple vehicles in Merced on the morning of Friday, April 27, 2018. Preliminary reports by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) suggested that the man was walking along the southbound lanes of Highway 99 near V Street. Shortly after 1:00 am, he was hit by several oncoming cars causing him to be thrown approximately 150 yards away from the scene of the accident. One witness reported that none of the drivers involved stopped to render aid which prompted the witness to pull over and contact emergency personnel. Unfortunately, the man was pronounced deceased at the scene by responding officials due to the severity of the injuries he suffered. The identity of the victim is unknown due to pending notification of his family members.
My thoughts and prayers are with those grieving the loss of their loved one in this devastating incident.
CHP officers are investigating the pedestrian accident as a hit and run. Details surrounding the descriptions of the suspect vehicles and drivers have not yet been released to the public as an investigation is ongoing.
Pedestrian accidents can occur despite a person on foot making an effort to abide by traffic laws. A pedestrian can lower their risk of being struck by a car by exercising the following safety precautions:
- Avoid walking in poorly-lit areas. In 2015, nearly 26 percent of pedestrian fatalities occurred between 6:00 pm and 8:59 pm in the United States (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration);
- Try to utilize a designated crosswalk while moving from one side of the street to the other. Taking the time to walk to a signal intersection before crossing a street can further secure your well-being;
- Wear a reflective vest or brightly-colored clothing to indicate your presence to approaching motorists during the hours when visibility is reduced. Carrying a flashlight at night when walking can also increase your visibility;
- Never assume that oncoming traffic will stop for you as you begin crossing the street. Approximately 78 percent of pedestrian fatalities occurring at non-intersections involved people on foot darting into traffic, expecting the motorist to be paying attention. This is not always the case.
- Refrain from alcohol use before taking a walk. One in every three deadly pedestrian accidents involved an intoxicated pedestrian with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 percent or higher (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
How a Wrongful Death Attorney Can Assist
Sadly, accidents in Merced have caused severe injuries and even death in some cases. These collisions may result in emotional, financial and physical tolls to the victims and their loved ones. If you have lost someone you love in an accident caused by a negligent driver, it is crucial to contact an experienced wrongful death attorney in Merced to ensure your right to fair compensation.
Merced Car Accident & Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced car accident lawyer. Losing someone you love due to the actions of a negligent driver can be devastating. When the person who died is the primary provider of his or her family things get even more life-altering. If you have lost a member of your family due to a pedestrian accident, please contact me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for compassionate, free and friendly advice.
You may check out my client ratings at:
I am proud to be a part of the Million Dollar Advocates, a nationwide group of trial lawyers that have obtained verdicts or settlement amounts worth more than 1 million dollars for a past client.
Please feel free to peruse some of our past Verdicts and Settlements here.
Image Courtesy: By “Brandon Nickerson” via Pexels
:ds [cs 682]. cv